2 8poe switches, only one will allow cameras to work

Bwv

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy,
I am trying to set up a 16camera system(dahua NVR and 16 Hikvison cameras with 2 8+1 Poe switches). Right now I can only get the cameras to work on the first switch(they are daisy chaned). I want 12 cameras around the house and 4 around my detached garage. There is a preexisting cat5e outdoor cable ran between the two buildings. I did get the second switch to work with the cameras if I plugged it into a wifi range extender. The only problem with that is it totally messed up the wifi at the house(Cisco router/modem combo from Comcast). None of the laptops would connect, the apple computer kept saying the IP address was already in use, I know for a fact that none of the up addresses were used.
Back to the main question, how can I get my cameras to operate properly with the daisy chained switch? I was able to activate and modify the IP addresses/subnetmask of the cameras with the daisy changed switch. Also, if I plug a computer directly into the switch it will not connect to the internet.

Bwv

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy,
I am trying to set up a 16camera system(dahua NVR and 16 Hikvison cameras with 2 8+1 Poe switches). Right now I can only get the cameras to work on the first switch(they are daisy chaned). I want 12 cameras around the house and 4 around my detached garage. There is a preexisting cat5e outdoor cable ran between the two buildings. I did get the second switch to work with the cameras if I plugged it into a wifi range extender. The only problem with that is it totally messed up the wifi at the house(Cisco router/modem combo from Comcast). None of the laptops would connect, the apple computer kept saying the IP address was already in use, I know for a fact that none of the up addresses were used.
Back to the main question, how can I get my cameras to operate properly with the daisy chained switch? I was able to activate and modify the IP addresses/subnetmask of the cameras with the daisy changed switch. Also, if I plug a computer directly into the switch it will not connect to the internet.
I did check all the wires with a cable tester, all wire with the exception of the existing cat5e running from house to garage is cat6.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did check all the wires with a cable tester, all wire with the exception of the existing cat5e running from house to garage is cat6.
Something is wrong with your cables....did you make them yourself? did you use the 568 standard on the ends?
what switches?

Bwv

n3wb
Reaction score
Something is wrong with your cables....did you make them yourself? did you use the 568 standard on the ends?
what switches?
I used the 568 standard on all the wire I made. The cat5e from the house to the garage was here when I moved in, I checked it with a cable tester but did not actually look at the ends of each wire. I will check today. The switch may be the problem as it is not the best quality but brand new.

Attachments

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
how are you connecting the switches? I am assuming that the +1 is an uplink port

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would help if you give the brand/model of switch.

And the 568 standard is 568A or 568B. As long as you use the same standard on both ends of one cable you are ok.

Can you do a simple diagram of how/what network devices the switches are connected to? Right now I'm guessing you have the uplink on switch 1 connected to the comcast box. Then the uplink on switch 2 connected to a PoE port on switch 1. And, I hope you have link lights on all the ports. Try changing ports and see what happens.

Bwv

n3wb
Reaction score
how are you connecting the switches? I am assuming that the +1 is an uplink port
Correct. The plus one is the uplink. I've tried the 2nd(daisy changed switch) with the input in the uplink port and in a regular POE port. On the first switch I've also tried both types of ports, pretty much every combination I've tried.
It would help if you give the brand/model of switch.

And the 568 standard is 568A or 568B. As long as you use the same standard on both ends of one cable you are ok.

Can you do a simple diagram of how/what network devices the switches are connected to? Right now I'm guessing you have the uplink on switch 1 connected to the comcast box. Then the uplink on switch 2 connected to a PoE port on switch 1. And, I hope you have link lights on all the ports. Try changing ports and see what happens.
i went and bought the google wifi router mesh system and I am going to reconfigure everything. My wifi was spotty all around the property and found the google wifi for $210, I couldn't pass it up. I will get back to you all and thanks for your help so fat

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to change the up addresses if they are unmanaged.
You don't have to, they don't have one.
I'm with the other responders on this - it has to be a cable problem if you can't simply connect 2 switches (even the cheapest) together and have a connected device work just the same on either.
Assuming not other funnies such as 2 devices having the same MAC address or IP address or themselves being connected with a faulty cable that causes the switch to shun / shut down channels linked to any chaotic traffic that could result.