2 Hiks are better than one

dalepa

Reaction score
Got a second $104 Hikvision 2032 from AliExpress for over the garage... I really love how small and simple this cam is to install and point.

It would be really cool if BI would automagically stitch them together to make one virtual cam...

Before

DriveBefore.jpg

After

DriveRight.jpgDriveLeft.jpg

I could remove the overlap, but I want 2 eyes on my truck...

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sure you know, but a 2.8mm lens would get pretty close too, I'd think. Mine gives me a very wide degree of view. Specs say 86 degree view, but I could swear it's wider than that. :) Still, an extra cam is ALWAYS justified!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two higher mm lens cameras are better than one lower mm lens camera so you get more detail. I find when you use one camera for a large area, everything is tiny.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Two higher mm lens cameras are better than one lower mm lens camera so you get more detail. I find when you use one camera for a large area, everything is tiny.

Of course, because wider angle also means more zoomed out, dalepa should just cover every inch of the outside of the house. :D That's my eventual plan, sept I'm lazy and like the varifocals.

dalepa

Reaction score
I'm pretty much there now with 2 driveways cams, frontdoor cam, 8 indoor cams, deer cam, backdoor bird cam and even my favorite cloud/sunset/drone cam...

Started with one junk foscam, and now I'm up to 16 cams.

Weird thing is... I'm not into the cams for security, it just a new cool video hobby to add to my bird photography interests... Learned lot's along the way including something I didn't know: I've got lots of critters in the back yard at night, clouds move in different directions, and I like to watch them.

Select HD and fullscreen...

Of course, because wider angle also means more zoomed out, dalepa should just cover every inch of the outside of the house. :D That's my eventual plan, sept I'm lazy and like the varifocals.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty much there now with 2 driveways cams, frontdoor cam, 8 indoor cams, deer cam, backdoor bird cam and even my favorite cloud/sunset/drone cam...

Started with one junk foscam, and now I'm up to 16 cams.

Weird thing is... I'm not into the cams for security, it just a new cool video hobby to add to my bird photography interests... Learned lot's along the way including something I didn't know: I've got lots of critters in the back yard at night, clouds move in different directions, and I like to watch them.

Select HD and fullscreen...

8 indoor cams for bird hobby? ;)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice! I have to say @dalepa, I am with you. I got into it as a hobby, less so for security (as funny as that sounds). I'm up to 9 at my house now and am glad to hear you have 16 so I won't feel guilty adding more :cool:

dalepa

Reaction score
it's hard to turn down those Hik2032's for $104 on AliExpress. My last one only cost $75 cause I had some purple on one 2032.

My I7 is starting to hit over 70% during the day, but still not effecting day to day use... I may need to look into a dedicated i7 soon...

Very nice! I have to say @dalepa, I am with you. I got into it as a hobby, less so for security (as funny as that sounds). I'm up to 9 at my house now and am glad to hear you have 16 so I won't feel guilty adding more :cool:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My I7 is starting to hit over 70% during the day, but still not effecting day to day use... I may need to look into a dedicated i7 soon...
And they're all 2-3mp feeding into blueiris?
Do you know how much data streams in over the network to that system?

I've been pondering a dedicated i5 in small form factor and separate lan for the camera traffic.
Rather than ponying up for another syno ds, that's going to run on some low power cpu and 1-2 gb of ram.

dalepa

Reaction score
15 cams, one shadow (for alerts) 3-hik2032, 2-hik2632 at 3mp and the rest 640x480 foscams and one trendnet/ running about 60% CPU,with spikes up to 90 when alerts kicks in... 40-50Mbps

Interesting that my low res foscams 640x480 at 11 FPS is using Bitrate as the 3MP hikvisions... h.264 rocks!

I have my frames rates up higher than most security cams...

Screenshot 2014-05-11 18.28.29.png

Just noticed the FPS on the 6 wifi cams are low... time for a router reboot...

Screenshot 2014-05-11 18.24.06.png

And they're all 2-3mp feeding into blueiris?
Do you know how much data streams in over the network to that system?

I've been pondering a dedicated i5 in small form factor and separate lan for the camera traffic.
Rather than ponying up for another syno ds, that's going to run on some low power cpu and 1-2 gb of ram.

Attachments

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Of course I'm not discouraging anyone from buying more toys, but does just how much 'detail' does one need? Do you want to see a face, the zits on the face, or the hair growing out of the pore of the zit on the face? :p

dalepa

Reaction score
Of course I'm not discouraging anyone from buying more toys, but does just how much 'detail' does one need? Do you want to see a face, the zits on the face, or the hair growing out of the pore of the zit on the face? :p
Until I can get as much detail as my Canon 7d, i wont be happy.

13990960655_a9f808a2d8_b.jpg

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Who did you buy the camera from on alieexpress

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Never mind found the store from the link

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is absolutely the lowest price I've ever seen for the 2032. Amazing. My BI server uses 70-80% during the day when I have my java live view app open. About 40% otherwise. 20 cams / 60 megapixels at 3 to 6 FPS and 200 Mbps bandwidth usage with my java app running, otherwise 80 Mbps. FYI I find that the Processes tab of task manager on windows 8 is less accurate than the Details tab. Well the Details tab gives lower CPU usage numbers anyway. I haven't got a clue why.

luisc202

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an African grey and it is an AMAZING bird. It talks like crazy...lol. I am going to put a camera on its cage to record when it talks. I started with 2 Hikvisions from newegg and am up to 10 lol. The 8 others are from overseas :).

The youtube video on the bird bath SOLD me and that is how I found this wonderful site.