2 networks on 1 computer

jeffedit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know this has been discussed a few times for a few scenarios but not quite the same as mine. My XP computer running BI just died...probably a good thing. Trying to set up a Win10 in a similar way but not having any luck.
I have 2 IP-Cams connected to a hub with Cat5. On the XP system, I had that hub connected to the CPU via a network adapter. Network card was set to IP address 192.168.0.x / subnet 255.255.255.0 and router was 192.168.0.1 (Router address) Cameras had assigned IP of 192.168.0.x Then the other NIC was set to IP 192.168.1.5 / Subnet 255.255.255.0 and router 192.168.1.1 (internet router IP). All was working fine on the XP system, I could see Blue Iris with my iphone or any computer. I never want to access the IP cameras directly since they are on BI. Plus they don't impede the traffic on my internet router...directly. I have tried to duplicate the setup on the Win10 computer but it doesn't like having two router IP addresses. Then if I set one NIC for the camera router, I can see those cameras in BI but then can not get to the internet on the other NIC. Any network gurus have any ideas. I like the way it was set up before but happy to get rid of XP and get another CPU. Thanks!

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can probably help here but I'm trying to get my head around your install.
Hub? I *think* you mean switch as in 100mbps switch (I hope).
I'm also not understanding why two cameras need to be on a separate LAN coming to the BI Box.
Ok I sorta get it. had to read a few times I'm slow today :) and it worked before it should work now.
Moving TWO cameras onto your same network that has an Internet router should not impact performance noticeably in most cases and *especially* if you are using a 100mbps or better wired network.

I'm not understanding why there is a "router" at 192.168.0.1 and what it would have to do with reaching the wired cameras at 192.168.0.X on that wired network segment.
Your Internet router is on the other network at 192.168.1.1 that make sense.
But No clue why a router on 192.168.0.1 is mentioned (and installed) here.

Assuming you are able to ping the ip addressen of the two cameras on their LAN:
The problem is most likely windows firewall related -OR- BI is not binding to both adapters automagically and needs some manual config to get it to listen and respond on both networks.

See if you can at least ping/access (web interface of cameras) from the BI box and start from there as you should be able to talk to them not only from BI but from ping tests web browsers etc.

Reaction score
Hello all,
I know this has been discussed a few times for a few scenarios but not quite the same as mine. My XP computer running BI just died...probably a good thing. Trying to set up a Win10 in a similar way but not having any luck.
I have 2 IP-Cams connected to a hub with Cat5. On the XP system, I had that hub connected to the CPU via a network adapter. Network card was set to IP address 192.168.0.x / subnet 255.255.255.0 and router was 192.168.0.1 (Router address) Cameras had assigned IP of 192.168.0.x Then the other NIC was set to IP 192.168.1.5 / Subnet 255.255.255.0 and router 192.168.1.1 (internet router IP). All was working fine on the XP system, I could see Blue Iris with my iphone or any computer. I never want to access the IP cameras directly since they are on BI. Plus they don't impede the traffic on my internet router...directly. I have tried to duplicate the setup on the Win10 computer but it doesn't like having two router IP addresses. Then if I set one NIC for the camera router, I can see those cameras in BI but then can not get to the internet on the other NIC. Any network gurus have any ideas. I like the way it was set up before but happy to get rid of XP and get another CPU. Thanks!

This Setup can be completed in windows 10. I had mine setup exactly like this before.

Your problem is you are inputting a Gateway on the Network card for the Cameras. Windows does not like having 2 gateways.

So basically all you need to do is put in your IP information on the Internet NIC(ie. IP address, subnet, gateway and DNS) then on the Camera Network card just input the IP and Subnet with no gateway or DNS. This will allow you to get to the cameras and still have internet on the BI server.

i286

n3wb
Reaction score
as mentioned by twiztidicp420 you should not have 2 gateways set pretty much ever.
delete the gateway from the 192.168.0.x NIC, save and re-test. If you need to set routes to NIC's you would input static routes but this is not necessary for this config.

that way your 192.168.1.x NIC deals with the gateway/internet and you can connect via mobile to it using the 192.168.1.x NIC IP while 192.168.0.x remains unreachable from your LAN apart from on that machine.

That will make it same as your old setup

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you can have two gateways on a PC ;-) but you have to tell the OS which gateway to use to route any traffic outside the subnet, this can be done by setting the metric value on the network interface and adding static routes using the route command

Though as stated if the PC dose not need to router any traffic outside the subnet then just leave the gateway blank.

i286

n3wb
Reaction score
you can have two gateways on a PC ;-) but you have to tell the OS which gateway to use to route any traffic outside the subnet, this can be done by setting the metric value on the network interface and adding static routes using the route command

Though as stated if the PC dose not need to router any traffic outside the subnet then just leave the gateway blank.
I should have put pretty much shouldn't have 2 default gateways, such as the entries in the nic configuration. Good pick up

Hacker

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure why you need two distinct subnets.

What you need to do is keep everything as one subnet by changing the mask to: "255.255.254.0" from "255.255.255.0" for all your devices.

i286

n3wb
Reaction score

What you need to do is keep everything as one subnet by changing the mask to: "255.255.254.0" from "255.255.255.0" for all your devices.
Because as soon as you do any other mask then that on a class C network you have to start calculating the IP range, why on earth would you do that at home?
Not to mention its infinitely more easier to remember 192.168.0.x for this network and 192.168.1.x for that network.

Edit: Not a dig, just explaining why its not a good idea / necessary at home

Hacker

n3wb
Reaction score
Because as soon as you do any other mask then that on a class C network you have to start calculating the IP range, why on earth would you do that at home?
Not to mention its infinitely more easier to remember 192.168.0.x for this network and 192.168.1.x for that network.

Edit: Not a dig, just explaining why its not a good idea / necessary at home
Not sure why calculating IP ranges is a hassle. Not if you know.
Easier to remember is subjective.
Many reasons....two or more links, etc.
Trying to provide the OP a solution.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was planning to connect all my cameras and BI PC to a PoE switch which connects to a port on my router which is on its own VLAN/bridge. In this setup, I’ve had to create a chain for all these Mac/IP’s, deny them from connecting to my WAN except for OpenVPN, allow NTP connection,and smtp for notifications. I’m not s networking guru so I assume it’s working well but am not 100% certain and am a bit freaked out as I constantly see dropped packets in my logs from Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, etc.

Is a setup like this guaranteed to not allow hackers to access the camera OS and only allow them to potentially hack the BI PC and see the video feed?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

People separate networks to limit broadcast traffic and for security purposes to limit devices seeing other hosts. Changing the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 just doubles the size of the network and number of allowed hosts to 510. In a small network doing this is pointless.