2 Way Talk with Blue Iris, please refresh my memory?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I'm having trouble remembering whether or not I was able to successfully 2 way talk with my Lorex overviews via the Lorex app ONLY OR, that I also successfully did it via BI.

Currently, I hear the audio from all cameras, but no one can hear me on the other side when I turn on the mic icon in the mobile app.

Furthermore, when I have the audio on, I hear things, but when I hit the mic button, audio disappears. I swear this is not the behavior I remember, nor would this fulfill the "2 way" nature of things. This is more like walkie talkie audio.

Can someone refresh my mind if BI does successfully work with Lorex 2 way audio, if so, what am I doing wrong? OR, did I only imagine this feature via the Lorex app?

My Lorex cameras are E892AB and E891AB. Thanks all!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not recall you telling me that you had the Lorex 2-way talk working in the app. Doesn't mean you didn't stumble on it LOL, but it was probably the Lorex app.

I do know I had to play with different settings of cameras in BI to get the two way to work.

But I did notice in the new app that it does seem more "walkie-talkie" and I do not remember it doing that with the older version app I had. But I do not use it that often. I may roll back the app and see if that is the way it works.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do not recall you telling me that you had the Lorex 2-way talk working in the app. Doesn't mean you didn't stumble on it LOL, but it was probably the Lorex app.

I do know I had to play with different settings of cameras in BI to get the two way to work.

But I did notice in the new app that it does seem more "walkie-talkie" and I do not remember it doing that with the older version app I had. But I do not use it that often. I may roll back the app and see if that is the way it works.
We discussed this AJ, this was one of scenarios where you OK'd the app purchase LOL! I'm counting on you and some others here for the usual rescue... Now that you're saying it works this way on BI as well... I'm thinking maybe it was the Lorex app that I did this successfully, on

Hoping some Lorex owners or other 2 way owners share their successes here... :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes we discussed a reason to get the app was for the two-way ability that UI3 doesn't have, but I didn't know you got around to making it work with the BI app LOL.

Anyway, since Lorex is Dahua, here is what my camera likes to work two-way:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

And change the 0 to 1 for the substream

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And much like AJ's, my Dahua-built Amcrest IP2M-841 looks like below AND the 2 way talk with the iOS BI app works fine:
EDIT: mine is ver 5.2.5.0 from May 15, 2020

Amcrest_IP2M-841_2way-talk.jpg

Last edited:

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes we discussed a reason to get the app was for the two-way ability that UI3 doesn't have, but I didn't know you got around to making it work with the BI app LOL.

Anyway, since Lorex is Dahua, here is what my camera likes to work two-way:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

And change the 0 to 1 for the substream
And much like AJ's, my Dahua-built Amcrest IP2M-841 looks like below AND the 2 way talk with the iOS BI app works fine:
EDIT: mine is ver 5.2.5.0 from May 15, 2020

View attachment 92544
Thanks guys... Here's what my Generic ONVIF settings look like. And also attaching a screen shot of what happens when I choose Dahua.

Can you guys elaborate where to make the changes on these screens or if I even have to make them?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on Android and the two-way works. When I turn on the mic, I lose the sound, so it is more "walkie-talkie" like you said, but it does work.

I cannot remember now if an older version of the app allowed you to listen and talk at the same time. I thought it did, but not for certain.

Try the setting that I posted, and @TonyR posted that were the same and work for him.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is probably intentional for incoming audio to be muted or at least made very quiet while sending outgoing audio. It is a simple way to eliminate echo when a more sophisticated echo cancellation method is not available.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot remember now if an older version of the app allowed you to listen and talk at the same time. I thought it did, but not for certain.
Yes, mine appears to be full duplex...if testing without another warm body to take your place, just make sure you don't stand near the cam with the phone & app in your hand to test...it IS sensitive .you'll get a BUNCH of acoustic feedback! :p

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, mine appears to be full duplex...if testing without another warm body to take your place, just make sure you don't stand near the cam with the phone & app in your hand to test...it IS sensitive .you'll get a BUNCH of acoustic feedback! :p
The iOS seems to get all the goodies LOL. Full Duplex, Plate Recognizer in the alerts LOL.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The talk audio on both iOS and Android is way too compressed/garbled. If you send audio via an alert to the directly from the server it does not suffer from this. I'm surprised he hasn't addressed this.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for your comments. I tried to switch my settings to the Dahua ones, like I showed in my screens. Wife was not able to hear me.

Any other ideas?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An update... The Dahua setting kinda works... But it's walkie talkie, like... I can only do one thing at a time... Listen or talk...

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure muting the sound when you turn the mic on is on purpose. It's audio 101 - if a mic picks the sound of itself up from a nearby speaker, it produces squealing (feedback) that will get louder and louder as the audio feeds back on itself (basically self replicating itself). With most mobile devices, the mic and the speaker are in very close proximity to each other. Now most modern devices alleviate this by using noise cancelling technology, but I don't know if that is in the hardware level or the software level. It could be that it is simply easier to mute the speaker instead of writing code to utilize noise cancelling or there may be another reason for the decision.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, not trying to hijack, but wanted to thank everyone on this post. Your posts and replies have allowed me to get my front porch camera working with two-way audio. I had given up a while back until I came across this post; the Dahua trick is great.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, not trying to hijack, but wanted to thank everyone on this post. Your posts and replies have allowed me to get my front porch camera working with two-way audio. I had given up a while back until I came across this post; the Dahua trick is great.
Glad they helped you too man... These guys are legends around here :D!