2032 PoE Setup Question - Please help

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping that someone might be able to assist me in my search.

I currently have 4 of HIKVISION DS-2CD2032-I 3MP 4mm cameras and want to hook them up to the exterior of my house.
I have the house wired with Cat6 all around and wanted to know if these camera's work with PoE or would I need something additional?

I have a switch that has 120w for PoE, so that should be enough, but not sure if there is anything else I need in order to get these to work with PoE.

Please advise.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"They are 802.3af compliant" means -- yes -- they will work with POE. The DS-2CD2032-I will only draw 3 to 4 watts each, so your 120 watt power budget will be overkill.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I would just connect the ethernet port and leave the power wire dangling?

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would use junction boxes so the wires aren't dangling, but yes, you plug in the ethernet cable to the camera and to your PoE switch, and you're done.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would use junction boxes so the wires aren't dangling, but yes, you plug in the ethernet cable to the camera and to your PoE switch, and you're done.
Great. Thank you for the confirmation.
What do you mean about a junction box? Please provide an example of what you mean. I am just worried that the dangling power cable will get corroded with the crappy weathers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
junction box is an electrical box w/conduit fittings.. mount camera to box, mount box to wall... run cables inside and connect them there.

Attachments

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
junction box is an electrical box w/conduit fittings.. mount camera to box, mount box to wall... run cables inside and connect them there.
Whats the benefit of this though, if you dont mind me asking. Why not just attach camera to wall and run wires through wall?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
because you can run an unterminated cat6 cable through a much smaller entry hole than you can the connectors on the camera.. to get most connectors through something needs like 1-1/4in hole, vs like a 1/4in hole for a nice cat6 cable.

it also lets you hookup audio/alarm/motion sensors up to the camera much cleaner.

Attachments