2342 cam - can't find on LAN after initial setup on NVR?

BadVF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi folks

I am having trouble finding one of my 2342 cams on my LAN after I initially trialled this on my DS-7608NI-I2-8P NVR. I also have another 3x of the 2342 cams that are working fine on my LAN via PoE switch - these are all viewable on NVR browser and VNS-4500.

I have tried SADP but no luck. When I plug the cam back into my NVR it works fine but I am stumped how to find it after putting it back on the LAN...?

How do I find this cam when I move it to my LAN, or can I configure an IP address via the NVR browser?

Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried SADP but no luck.
SADP V3.x generally works well.
Presumably the PC is wired, not wireless, and the camera is powered OK?
On a temporary basis, you could connect the camera back to the NVR, plug the PC in to an unused PoE port of the NVR, and change the camera IP address to a LAN IP address with SADP, which should find it, then plug the camera back into the LAN.

BadVF

n3wb
Reaction score
SADP V3.x generally works well.
Presumably the PC is wired, not wireless, and the camera is powered OK?
On a temporary basis, you could connect the camera back to the NVR, plug the PC in to an unused PoE port of the NVR, and change the camera IP address to a LAN IP address with SADP, which should find it, then plug the camera back into the LAN.
Thanks Alistair.
I am using a laptop wirelessly however I wouldn't think that would make any difference given the cam is not even appearing on my routers client list?
I will give your suggestion a crack though.
Thanks again.

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using a laptop wirelessly however I wouldn't think that would make any difference given the cam is not even appearing on my routers client list?
That can make a difference, you may well find that wired works OK.
DHCP clients? It won't list if it's not using DHCP.

BadVF

n3wb
Reaction score
That can make a difference, you may well find that wired works OK.
DHCP clients? It won't list if it's not using DHCP.
Cha-ching! Worked just as you said Alastair!

Can't thank you enough. I posted on another forum too and still no solution there.

Thank you, much appreciated. where would we be without online forums...?

SJS

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a much simpler solution:

Activating "virtual host" function on the nvr and you will get direct connection to all the attached cams. All you have to do then is to add the corresponding port number after your nvr's ip adress, e.g. 192.168.168.100:65001 for the cam on channel 1 (192.168.168.100 is e.g. the ip adress of your NVR). That's all.

Especially for firmware upgrading of the cams you don't have to recable the unit.

The background is, that the internal NVR switch does open a kind of VLAN for the attached cameras with different ip range. So a direct connection to the cams is not possible at this point. The virtual host function routes the ports 65001...6500x to the corresponding channels on the VLAN ip adresses, so after activating this function the cams are reachable from the NVR ip adress (= your home ip range) again.

Last edited:

BadVF

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip SJS. Sounds much easier than having to setup temporary connections etc.

Cheers