24/7 IR - garage cam

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Any of you guys have cams in locations where IR is on all the time? I had a couple of cheap Longse outside that I replaced and used one of them inside our garage. It started crapping out so I put the 2nd one up, now I think it's going out too. Maybe due to constant IR on a cheap camera? I will be looking for a replacement and wondered if I would be better off adding an external IR and turning IR off on the camera since it is on 24/7. I'm not sure if the external IR would hold up better over time or not. It wouldn't take a lot of IR for a 2 car garage.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
There's certainly plenty of 'IR Illuminator' products available from Amazon for sub-$20. Couldn't hurt to try one out.
I have 2 in use outside now. The first 2 I got lasted about a year, then quit working. My replacements have been up for a couple of months, maybe they will last longer.

Reaction score
I'd be wary of any power supplies they couple with those. They're usually either under-powered or noisy as heck. Too much AC noise could probably damage the IR LEDs after some time.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine may be due to the Longse cameras more than anything else. I've never had problems with my other 6 cams (Hikvisions and Dahuas) but then the IR's get a rest during the daytime on those.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine may be due to the Longse cameras more than anything else. I've never had problems with my other 6 cams (Hikvisions and Dahuas) but then the IR's get a rest during the daytime on those.
its the longse...ir doesnt need rest...