24/7 Video Recording Path Recommendations

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering which is more efficient or less rescource usage when setting up cameras for 24/7 recording.

I have 20 Dahua PTZ Cameras, SD59225U-HNI. I am recording 24/7. All cameras have Micro SD Cards Class 10. I am using Dahua DMSS Express for video management software and live viewing.

In the camera setup there is an option and or path to record locally to the cameras SD Card or to a network drive or NAS.

I was wondering what is the most efficient use or setup for the recording path in the camera web interface.

You can record locally to the micro sd card and then to the server or directly to Network attached storage.

Is one better than the other? Its nice to have all the video on each camera. But im wondering if its possible/reasonable to have alerts only on sd card and all video going to NAS. Will it free up camera rescources for faster live video connection responses?

Any ideas, thoughts?
Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is performance advantage to writing to a NAS vs a SDcard. Its more user preference as to how you want to setup your storage backend. I suppose viewing recorded video could be slightly faster on the SD card since you aren't have to access a remote storage location (NAS).

I'd have to look at the storage options on my Dahua cameras to see if you can record to one device and save alerts to another. I save camera snapshots to a NFS directory that gets triggered from motion at night. That way I have a snapshot with a timestamp that tells me when the motion occurred and I can go back and view the video footage if desired.

Last edited:

Ratfink11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have both NAS and SD Cards in cams. Just wondering if its better, faster, less rescource intensive on cameras to go straight to NAS instead of to SD Card and NAS?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both NAS and SD Cards in cams. Just wondering if its better, faster, less rescource intensive on cameras to go straight to NAS instead of to SD Card and NAS?
I wouldn't think it would matter to be honest.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't seen any difference in bandwidth doing both.