24 Camera Warehouse Setup

fbaf_sd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to do a setup for my warehouse (about 20k sqft) with 24 cameras, using BI, and I need some hardware suggestions. I need to record constantly during business hours, and then on motion detection at night. I plan on getting around 8TB of local storage, and then uploading old files to web storage.

I don't need anything too crazy camera-wise, so am planning on these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Ethernet-Surveillance-Waterproof-Connection/dp/B01G1U4MVA/

I also found this switch, which seems like it will fit my purposes:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-M4100-26G-POE-26-Port-GSM7226LP-100NES/dp/B00AUEYX5O/

As far as a PC, I'm more comfortable building a desktop PC, but if a server will better serve my purposes let me know. I know that switch is rack mounted, so in the interest of keeping everything cleanly together maybe a server is the better option? Ideal budget for the server is around $1000, but I can go up to $2000 if needed.

Suggestions are much appreciated!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fbaf_sd

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Those switches look great, and I'll read up on those cameras. As far as hardware, can I build a rig with an i7-7700k and run everything through Windows 10? Will that handle 24 cameras?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I happen to own two similar SV3C cameras, mine have variable zoom and focus. My comment is don't waste your time or money. The quality of construction, compared to other, low end stuff, is about the same. The adjustment "ratches" are very coarse which limits your ability to adjust field of view really well. The IR distance given, for mine, was very optimistic, figure by a factor of two. Now, one of them has developed condensation on the inside of the lens cover glass and is basically useless, especially at night. I know you're looking at fixed focus, but mine with the variable zoom and fcus are complete junk. The controls are very sloppy and very coarse. I think that speaks to the overall quality.

Bottom line is stick to good, decent brands, like Dahua or Hikivision, rather than the cheap stuff on Amazon or FleaBay if you really want useable, reliable, cameras.

Here's what that SV3C looks like now, after a whole month or so -

FY-E.JPG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going to buy really cheap cameras, I suggest you at least go with a trusted brand like Dahua. 2MP starlight cameras are very good and are about $100 each for fixed-focus or $170 for motorized varifocal.

The SV3C varifocal linked earlier is manual, not motorized, and I'm sure awsum140 would agree that makes it a pain in the butt.

Here are some of Dahua's less-expensive models that I would trust before anything from one of those lesser-known brands. They'll be generally lesser quality (especially for night-time image quality) compared to Dahua's starlight series, but for the price I don't think you can beat them.

4mp/2.8mm, $67: http://a.co/cRLFcWD

4mp/3.6mm, $65: http://a.co/3hU0Hg3

6mp/3.6mm, $73: http://a.co/bcfcR4J

The cameras I linked here can be had cheaper from aliexpress, but with really slow shipping and the possibility of import taxes on a large order.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of bang for the buck, I'll take a Dahua 5231R over ANY of the crap I've bought from Amazon. Far better resolution than the 4MP camera I have and in terms of low/no light it is amazing. Yeah, significant price difference, but you get what you pay for.

I will say setup of the SV3C was easy, but then there's not much to control through their interface. Note the black diagonal line on the right in that screen capture. That's inside the camera as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With Blue Iris it doesn't matter what region the cameras are from; they provide a video stream and that is all Blue Iris cares about.

I think with Dahua the main risk regarding firmware upgrades of those cheaper cameras is that they were hacked into English mode by the seller and if you change the firmware they'll probably revert to Chinese. They're still usable in Chinese mode, but you need your browser to translate for you and the on-screen text overlays might be in the wrong language.

fbaf_sd

n3wb
Reaction score
Luckily I have a few employees that speak/read Chinese, so no problem there. As much as I'd like to get nicer cameras, needed 24 to cover the entire warehouse limits me budget-wise. As far as a computer to run the whole thing, any thoughts on server vs desktop pc?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a "server" grade computer (Xeon / ECC memory). Blue Iris works best with Intel desktop CPUs that have Quick Sync Video support (Blue Iris uses that for hardware acceleration).

Around $300 can easily get you a 4th generation i7 with all you need to get started. You can upgrade the hard drive afterward.

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF PC: Core i7-4770 3.4GHz - 8GB - 500GB | eBay
HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF PC Core i7 4770 3.4ghz 8GB 500GB DVD Windows 10 Pro | eBay

I recently ran a similar build (3rd generation), but upgraded to an 8th generation i7-8700K late last week because I wanted to be able to run higher frame rates, and it performed better than I expected. You can expect an i7-8700K build to cost around $1000 though, not including a big hard drive for video or an OS license. Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess my point is that if you want a surveillance system to work reliably and the video to be actually usable, if needed, cheaping out on cameras may not be the best idea. I've found that Mr. Murphy always shows up at the worst possible moment. Maybe, rather than doing the "full monte" right out of the box, consider the most critical areas first and add the rest overtime. I don't know your situation, budget or layout, but that's how I'd tackle it.

fbaf_sd

n3wb
Reaction score
You don't need a "server" grade computer (Xeon / ECC memory). Blue Iris works best with Intel desktop CPUs that have Quick Sync Video support (Blue Iris uses that for hardware acceleration).

Around $300 can easily get you a 4th generation i7 with all you need to get started. You can upgrade the hard drive afterward.

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF PC: Core i7-4770 3.4GHz - 8GB - 500GB | eBay
HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF PC Core i7 4770 3.4ghz 8GB 500GB DVD Windows 10 Pro | eBay

I recently ran a similar build (3rd generation), but upgraded to an 8th generation i7-8700K late last week because I wanted to be able to run higher frame rates, and it performed better than I expected. You can expect an i7-8700K build to cost around $1000 though, not including a big hard drive for video or an OS license. Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?
How is the temp on your build? Would you recommend a liquid cooled system on the 8700k?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

No need for liquid cooling.

This is a Mini ITX build, although I chose a fairly spacious case so I was able to fit a Noctua NH-U9S cooler in there.

I had my old i7-3770K running > 90C flawlessly for at least a year on the Intel stock cooler (covered in dust) before I replaced it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, so CPU temperatures of 60-80C don't bother me at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those have international versions. Might cause issues
that is simply incorrect...the dahua cameras that are international versions are FULLY upgradable firmware..NO ISSUES AT ALL. You are confusing international and china region -those amazon links are china region....there are great dahua international cams for about 100 or less...starting with fixed starlights to varifical 3mp - motorized.
SV3C is utter garbage...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
ECC does have its uses, thats for sure. Fortunately most of the Xeon E3 CPUs support Quick Sync Video so they are a good option for an ECC addict wanting to build a Blue Iris server.

Realistically though, ECC might save you from like one corrupt video frame or a software crash over the lifetime of the system...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah good point. E5 supports quick sync doesn't it as well?
None that I know of. Just the E3 series. And I'm not sure it is even all of the E3 series. Just the more common models that are minor variations of i5 or i7 consumer chips.