24 port switch, unmanaged for cameras only 300w / who has the best? budget 300.00

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would love to spend less. Do not need gig ports on all but uplink, but if a swich can process 24 gig pots (has all gig ports) it's gotta be better than 10/100 ports with gig uplink?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
STEAMEMO 8 Port AI PoE+ Switch (8 x 100Mbps PoE+ Ports + 2 Gigabit Uplink), 802.3af/at @ 120W Built-in Power, VLAN Mode, Extend to 250Meter, Unmanaged Plug and Play

Just bought 2 of these and they seem OK...for 30.00 POE Switch.jpgPOE Switch.jpg

Video1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMO a used Cisco PPPoE switch is a good buy. I bought a Cisco 2960S 48 Port Gigabit 370W PoE+ Switch for $97. This is a very robust commercial switch that's far more robust and durable than the cheap consumer grade ones.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i tried a yuanley 5 port(4poe-1Gbit uplink)/alledgedly......for my NVR/DVR cam streams . Unplugged a TPlink 4 port Gigabit, plugged the Yuanley. So I had a 5231 z12 on port 1, port 2 had 7 cam NVR. port 3 had a 3 cam DVR. port 5 took all the data back to gigabit switch in the house.
tried logging into the recorders and cameras. it was very laggy and sluggish and would fail to load up a web page from the camera Gui's.
Thus ended my experiment with 10/100 - Gigabit uplink switches.
Right now the yuanley is powering 1 cam directly, and its uplinked to the TPlink 4 port and everything is back to normal.
I wouldn't bet on a 10/100 - Gigabit uplink switch, unless it could verifiably show its truly a Gigabit uplink.....mine couldn't handle a 70Mbps NVR ON 1 PORT, plus 10-20Mbps on another port, and the one empiretech 5231 z12 on the other port.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - used enterprise PoE switches is imho worth considering .. note some of those can be very noisy and long .. so try to get a newer model

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked up a used HP 2530 24-port POE+ switch on FB marketplace for a ridiculously low amount.

As mentioned my @mat200 they can be noisy but I’ve added 28ohm resistors in series with the 12v supply to each fan and which got rid of the top end whine so now can’t hear it unless I’m standing right next to it.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't buy new. There are thousands of high quality network switches being sold by resellers on EBay and other sites. These units are from businesses that replaced their gear for various reasons - which don't include "because it was broken." You can get 48 port managed POE switches for $150 or less, so staying in your budget will be easy. Not only will you save money, but you will have much better quality equipment than buying a "residential" or "low grade commercial" unit even if new.

I should also note that buying a "managed switch" does not force you to use any of the higher functions. It will work just fine as a "dumb switch" and yet have those advanced capabilities available should you want them in the future.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of those (purchased over 9 years ago!!) still running fine. Its web interface is extremely slow, but I have almost never needed to do anything with it so that isn't a dealbreaker. Just occasionally to reboot the switch to fix a camera that stopped responding. The biggest downside I suppose is that old model doesn't support PoE+ (802.3at) or PoE++ (802.3bt). That will be a common issue with any older model switch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your thread, op. But was just searching for poe switch discussions and found this thread.
Thus ended my experiment with 10/100 - Gigabit uplink switches.
Both of the poe switches I was considering say they're 10/100. One of which was recommended here, and doesn't have the best reviews (on amazon).
FYI - used enterprise PoE switches is imho worth considering .. note some of those can be very noisy and long .. so try to get a newer model
Don't buy new. There are thousands of high quality network switches being sold by resellers on EBay and other sites. These units are from businesses that replaced their gear for various reasons - which don't include "because it was broken." You can get 48 port managed POE switches for $150 or less, so staying in your budget will be easy. Not only will you save money, but you will have much better quality equipment than buying a "residential" or "low grade commercial" unit even if new.

I should also note that buying a "managed switch" does not force you to use any of the higher functions. It will work just fine as a "dumb switch" and yet have those advanced capabilities available should you want them in the future.
Could one of you recommend or post a link to an example of these used 'enterprise' poe switches? I don't need more than 8 cameras max.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack your thread, op. But was just searching for poe switch discussions and found this thread.

Both of the poe switches I was considering say they're 10/100. One of which was recommended here, and doesn't have the best reviews (on amazon).

Could one of you recommend or post a link to an example of these used 'enterprise' poe switches? I don't need more than 8 cameras max.
Keep in mind that the enterprise switches may be loud and annoying and they may use more energy. If you are running 8 camera system max look at a 16 port poe switch or even an 8 port that has an additional uplink port. I have yet to see a name brand consumer grade poe switch fail.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
my enterprise switch has an 1100 watt power supply...and a backup 715 watt power supply....You'll really eat up the electricity vs. an economical Consumer grade gigabit POE switch....not to mention sound annoyance.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
my enterprise switch has an 1100 watt power supply...and a backup 715 watt power supply....You'll really eat up the electricity vs. an economical Consumer grade gigabit POE switch....not to mention sound annoyance.
Doesn’t mean it will be running at that full power usage all the time?

My HP switch has a POE+ rating of over 300w but with my 9 cams and the BI PC it’s running at around 50w.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To /from YuanLey tech support -
Do your unmanaged switches use stp? Can I dayschain more than 3 switches using the 2 uplink ports? Looking at YS2083GS-P, YS20162G-P, YS2422GS-P To use in our large camera networks. Thanks. - response -
Thanks for your contact.
The unmanaged poe switches can not support stp protocol. If you want to use stp , you should choose managed switches.
Our poe switches are designed for camera networks, especially PoE cameras.
Please don't worry about this , you can dayschain 3 or more switches using the uplink ports as long as you do not exceed the total throughput to cause bottleneck.
Best Regards
YuanLey

We are going to try the YuanLey gigabit switches. Most of our NVR have 1 nic for the cameras with 1 nic for internernet or remote aqccess. It's impractical to run a cable from every camera to 1 location, so a few switches are necessary. If the switches are not fast enough or not connected properly lag and even dropouts can occur.

Most of the newer unmanaged switches have the ability to flip a switch so each individual port can only communicate back over the uplink port. Sometimes that can reduce the speed of that port while increasing the distance. Gigabit ports on a switch used for cameras seems like overkill but the internal processing/throughput of the switch goes way up if it supports gigabit on each port. Unless you are installing 64 cqameras or more you shouldnt need to worry about this, but we need it to work without

16 POE Switch.jpg

[/QUOTE]

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The question reguarding "do these switches do "STP" was probibly showing my ignorance a bit, but just thought I'd ask. I'v never set up switches in a loop config, so probably a silly question because these are unmanaged sitches.

On the other hand I got a quick response from their tech support people. - that good