MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
edit: nevermind

Last edited:

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I figured out the problem. Basically, 2nd one of my PoE camera kept cutting in and out. It turns out that the rain storm also messed up this camera connection. I electrical taped a male rj45 to a female-to-female to a male rj45 cable. Well, over time, the electrical tape expanded open...allowing some rain to get in. The camera's intermittent operation was giving me a tell-tale sign. I was able to locate the problem quickly.

Lesson learned....... this camera almost burned out but i'm glad I caught it in time.

Now.... i'm contemplating just running straight bare upgraded outdoor rated cables with NO connection joints. I would protect all connection joints with a weather proof junction box.

Reaction score
I figured out the problem. Basically, 2nd one of my PoE camera kept cutting in and out. It turns out that the rain storm also messed up this camera connection. I electrical taped a male rj45 to a female-to-female to a male rj45 cable. Well, over time, the electrical tape expanded open...allowing some rain to get in. The camera's intermittent operation was giving me a tell-tale sign. I was able to locate the problem quickly.

Lesson learned....... this camera almost burned out but i'm glad I caught it in time.

Now.... i'm contemplating just running straight bare upgraded outdoor rated cables with NO connection joints. I would protect all connection joints with a weather proof junction box.
I'm very glad you identified and corrected the problem.
I'm more impressed you came back and explained it for others.
If anyone feels obligated to use a similar connection strategy, use two items:
-- 3M Scotchcast 8882 Re-enterable Gel Resin - non-conductive gel to prevent moisture intrusion
-- self-fusing silicon rubber electrical tape to wrap it all up

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered 1000ft of outdoor rated solid core ethernet cable from monoprice. Time to build my cables and run straight through. Should've done this from day 1 but I was lazy.

Part of the problem is also because I was using flat cables with a boot. The boot doesn't fit into the Dahua's waterproof connector housing. So I have to use standard round ones. A while back, Amcrest waterproof connectors did not allow you to insert the RJ45 connector into their waterproof housing. This meant that the bare wire had to go in first and then you attach the RJ45 on the other end. Since then, the new Dahua cameras I got from EmpireCandy eliminated this problem. The connector housing is now big enough to insert the entire rj45 connector and cable through the dahua's waterproof connector. This design is much better and I'm not sure why Amcrest is still stuck with that older design.