29 second Issue & Overall Setup

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get some help please. Currently I have set up the cameras but there appears to be an issue with playback on each clip at 29 seconds. I'm guessing that this may be related to the pre-trigger video buffer which is set to 30 seconds.

I also find that there are quite a few dropped frames (jumps 2-3 seconds at a time).

Overall, CPU usage and memory is very high often 90-100%. I have taken the steps outlined on the CPU thread although with the main camera I had to move back to re-encode else it didn't play back on BI.

So I wanted to check through what settings I should have on both the camera and BI.

Ideally I want to record all the main camera streams then have triggers for viewing. I also want to be able to send snapshots for motion so I can send them through Sighthound FR (anyone who's done this with Home Assistant and got the 'how to' would be brilliant. What side HDD should I have for this? I have a QNAP NAS so can store there if performance on replay isn't an issue.

SPECS:
Main Camera (x2) - Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
Secondary Cameras (x3) - Reolink RLC-410-5MP

PC - HP EliteDisk, Windows 10, i5-7500, 4GB ram, SSD with 400GB free
Dedicated PC, only other thing running is Home Assistant in a VirtualBox environment, capped at max 1GB memory usage.

I also have 1 camera issue - where it comes on / off in terms of PoE - any idea what might be causing this? It's one of the ReoLinks, sometimes it works for a few days then doesn't for a day.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would add a 4 TB WD purple drive to your BI PC system.
If possible add 4GB ram,
Record continuously to the 4Tb drive. Set the NEW BI folder on the 4TB drive. Set the NEW folder to delete when full, set the NEW folder to have 3800 GB in BLUE iris, never allocate 100% of the disk space to BI.
Set the stored folder to zero space.
Disconnect the REOLINK cameras for now they do not play well with BI some times as the do not support normal camera configuration options.
Set the dahua camera (in the camera not BI) to a frame rate of 15, Iframe to 15, bit rate type VBR, bit rate about 4096 Kbs.

Disk space is cheap, Most people use continuous recording. The feel is that recording on event, you will miss the most important action.

After you get both dahua cameras running smoothly , after a few days add one reolink camera at a time verifying stable operation.

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I've already ordered some RAM to add in. Will go direct then with the HDD and add continuous but any thoughts as to why the recording always corrupts for 10-15 seconds at 29 seconds (which is the trigger event) - this is the biggest issue as this is the action I want to see.

Equally is there any way to repair them, as they're in BVR dont think anything else can play them.

The Reolinks haven't given me any issues so far, but not played around much with them, it's the Dahua doing the recording. The reolink recording works fine.

Last edited:

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
Also - any way to clean up audio? We have a gravel drive so all audio seems to get largely obscured by this.

Or any post processing which can be done for important clips - again bvr doesn't seem to give many options but is there a setting which would help?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also - any way to clean up audio? We have a gravel drive so all audio seems to get largely obscured by this.

Or any post processing which can be done for important clips - again bvr doesn't seem to give many options but is there a setting which would help?
In the camera's audio settings, turn off the noise filter.
This could be a network issue, an issue with poorly done crimps on the cables.
Not sticking with the 568B wiring standard.
Avoid Reolink.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Blue iris is not an audio editing software

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've already ordered some RAM to add in. Will go direct then with the HDD and add continuous but any thoughts as to why the recording always corrupts for 10-15 seconds at 29 seconds (which is the trigger event) - this is the biggest issue as this is the action I want to see.

Equally is there any way to repair them, as they're in BVR dont think anything else can play them.

The Reolinks haven't given me any issues so far, but not played around much with them, it's the Dahua doing the recording. The reolink recording works fine.
there could be many reasons for this as noted. With reolink there is a known problem because the iframe intervals cannot be set in the firmware.
Do you have this problem with your other cams? ensure you are not using a smart of + codec. h.264/5 only

Vanq

n3wb
Reaction score
None of the issues are with the Reolink camera's - they're for low usage areas and seem to work fine (bar the PoE connection but will try re-doing that - it's only the Dahua's.

The audio filter off seems to have helped a bit- thank you. Is G.117A the right encode mode and sampling frequency is 16000 by default.

The continuous recording seems to stop the 29-second issue but the image does seem to 'tear' at night when motion is occurring. By tear I mean that the image becomes almost pixilated or theres a ghost image when a person is walking but they then appear to have been stationary whilst the image continues. This becomes significantly worse when close which means I can't identify someone.

Encode settings are H.264H, Smart Codec 'On', resolution 1080p, FRS 15, BitRate VBR, Quality 6 (Best), Max Bit Rate 4096.
From your thoughts Fenderman, should I turn Smart Codec off, that would then default iFrame interval to 30

Is there any guides I'm missing for how to go through and calibrate each setting correctly on the camera and blue iris as it doesn't overall seem to be functioning as 'flawless' as everyones seems to, and I'd happily go through and re-do/check each setting.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set iframe to 15.
Disconnect reolink cameras they interfer with the other cameras by causing CPU problems.