2Mp or 4Mp? Yes, I've read the reviews :-)

NCBBA11043

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read the reviews that are available, but still don't have enough info to make an educated decision. I need at least one varifocal turret IP camera. Looking at DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS (2 Mp) and the DS-2CD2H45FWD-IZS. I'd be using this camera to determine the fixed focal length of the other cameras I will be buying. I don't need/want 4K, but still need to determine what the best option is. Some locations will have little to no external light source, some will be in areas where there are "porch" lights or motion detecting flood lights. There's also the matter of a price difference of $40. And trying to find a good dependable economical vendor. I'd really like to get one of each and test, but I'm leery about some vendors return policies or long delays. Opinions?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have none to limited external light I would go for 2MP (Starlight Range) if you have additional external light say >50w LED floodlight I would go for 2MP. Either way the more external light the better for those night shots when the scum are about and so you can get good ID shots. I run 2MP (Starlight) with external LED floodlights as if I catch somebody I want to make sure LEO and I can ID them. I see it time and time again, people install cameras and say the picture quality is amazing in the day and their night pictures are sh1t.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've read the reviews that are available, but still don't have enough info to make an educated decision. I need at least one varifocal turret IP camera. Looking at DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS (2 Mp) and the DS-2CD2H45FWD-IZS. I'd be using this camera to determine the fixed focal length of the other cameras I will be buying. I don't need/want 4K, but still need to determine what the best option is. Some locations will have little to no external light source, some will be in areas where there are "porch" lights or motion detecting flood lights. There's also the matter of a price difference of $40. And trying to find a good dependable economical vendor. I'd really like to get one of each and test, but I'm leery about some vendors return policies or long delays. Opinions?
Hi @NCBBA11043

A lot depends on the actual image sensor used, so just comparing MegaPixels to MegaPixels is only part of the story.

Look for side by side reviews.

From the spec side of things, they both look good. If the sensor and dsps are the same gen / tech then in theory the 2MP should do better in low light conditions. ( 2MP at 1/2.8" vs 4MP at 1/2.54" )

DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS2 MP IR Vari-focal Turret Network Camera
• 1/2.8" Progressive Scan CMOS
• 1920 × 1080 resolution
• 2.8 to 12 mm focal length
Powered by Darkfighter
• H.265, H.265+, H.264+, H.264
• 120dB Wide Dynamic Range
• BLC/3D DNR/ROI/HLC
• IP66, IK10
• 4 behavior analyses and face detection

Ref:
DS-2CD2H25FWD-IZS 2 MP IR Vari-focal Turret Network Camera-Hikvision

DS-2CD2H45FWD-IZS 4 MP IR Vari-focal Network Turret Camera
• 1/2.5" Progressive Scan CMOS
• 2688 × 1520 @30 fps
• 2.8 to 12 mm motorized vari focal lens
Powered by Darkfighter
• H.265, H.265+, H.264+, H.264
• 120dB WDR
• 4 behavior analyses
• BLC/3D DNR/ROI/BLC
• IP66, IK10
• IR range: up to 30m
• Built-in micro SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot ,up to 128 GB

ref:
DS-2CD2H45FWD-IZS 4 MP IR Vari-focal Network Turret Camera-Hikvision

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
but, you a person is too far from camera...it get pixelated when zoom in. I added more light and 8K for cover a bigger area.

NCBBA11043

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have none to limited external light I would go for 2MP (Starlight Range) if you have additional external light say >50w LED floodlight I would go for 2MP. Either way the more external light the better for those night shots when the scum are about and so you can get good ID shots. I run 2MP (Starlight) with external LED floodlights as if I catch somebody I want to make sure LEO and I can ID them. I see it time and time again, people install cameras and say the picture quality is amazing in the day and their night pictures are sh1t.
I'm thinking you meant 4Mp with external light source (50 W LED).

Thanks for the input.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking you meant 4Mp with external light source (50 W LED).

Thanks for the input.
No, I did mean 2MP not 4MP.... don't be fooled into chasing the megapixel dream 2MP captures more light than a 4MP.. If you google the megapixel dream you can get detailed explanations

NCBBA11043

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I did mean 2MP not 4MP.... don't be fooled into chasing the megapixel dream 2MP captures more light than a 4MP.. If you google the megapixel dream you can get detailed explanations
Oh - OK. Thanks for the clarification.
I was hoping to use a higher res camera to cover more area . . .

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, things are getting more complicated now that newer cameras with higher MP + bigger sensor models are coming out.

The new Dahua 4K bullets with the bigger 1/1.8" sensor are a lot closer to the low-light performance of the 2MP Starlights, but they're still 1.5-2x off (when comparing the minimum illumination specs). The other Dahua 4K(8MP) cameras had smaller 1/2.5" sensors and needed 4x more light than the 2MP Starlights...

So now Hikvision has 4MP Dark Fighter turrets that have minimum illumination specs that beat the 2MP Starlights... They're 4MP on a 1/2.7" sensor, while the 2MP Starlights are 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it still seems to me that the Dahua's have a bigger pixel size (and would do better in low light), but maybe Hikvision has some other magic.

@NCBBA11043, the forum here (IPCT) just started selling the 4MP fixed-lens Dark Fighter (under their own brand). I'm not 100% sure if that's the non-varifocal version of the one you're looking at, but there's a new review thread for it on here (in case it is):
Review-Ipcamtalk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was hoping to use a higher res camera to cover more area . . .
What some folks have been doing is using a higher MP camera as an overview camera. Since the higher MP cameras usually don't do as well in low light (i.e. can be used to tell that something going on, but not good enough o get an ID at night), they'll supplement with lower MP cameras (like Dahua Starlights) that are zoomed in on key areas, like doors, driveways, gates, etc for ID'ing.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO, things are getting more complicated now that newer cameras with higher MP + bigger sensor models are coming out.

The new Dahua 4K bullets with the bigger 1/1.8" sensor are a lot closer to the low-light performance of the 2MP Starlights, but they're still 1.5-2x off (when comparing the minimum illumination specs). The other Dahua 4K(8MP) cameras had smaller 1/2.5" sensors and needed 4x more light than the 2MP Starlights...

So now Hikvision has 4MP Dark Fighter turrets that have minimum illumination specs that beat the 2MP Starlights... They're 4MP on a 1/2.7" sensor, while the 2MP Starlights are 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it still seems to me that the Dahua's have a bigger pixel size (and would do better in low light), but maybe Hikvision has some other magic.

@NCBBA11043, the forum here (IPCT) just started selling the 4MP fixed-lens Dark Fighter (under their own brand). I'm not 100% sure if that's the non-varifocal version of the one you're looking at, but there's a new review thread for it on here (in case it is):
Review-Ipcamtalk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera.
Yes, I give you that one @aristobrat :) , with everything in technology things are getting better as tech advances... As of yet I personally haven't seen many cameras that outperform the 2MP starlight range for night vision.. But then again I've not tested the models you reference. Hopefully any members who have can do a side by side video (If they haven't already)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that things are slowly advancing technology wise with our cameras. But IMHO the 2MP with the good sensor is still the way to go for overall day and night performance. IMHO the Hikvision is slightly better than the Dahua at night do to less blurring of people walking by at night. However you pay a price for that extra little bit of clarity. The Hikvision is more expensive than the Dahua for a comparable camera. I believe I have bought my last 2MP camera and will wait for the 4MP to catch up technology wise. Maybe 2020 will be the year. :)

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m still deciding which to go with. 2Mp just sounds too low a resolution these days, I’ve been having a look at the new ColorVu Hikvision cameras which look really good but currently have no idea how much they are.

The ipcamtalk cams also look pretty decent but I’m in the uk so not that easy to get a hold of.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ipcamtalk cams also look pretty decent but I’m in the uk so not that easy to get a hold of.
They're also available on Andy's AliExpress site. Andy's been shipping cameras worldwide to forum members here for years.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Andy sells IPCT branded cameras? (Hik rebrand, right?) I thought he was a Dahua mfg seller.

xyz%

n3wb
Reaction score
Will 4MP IP cam set to 2MP resolution in the GUI improve quality on a nightime or is the software just fudging the resolution?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Will 4MP IP cam set to 2MP resolution in the GUI improve quality on a nightime or is the software just fudging the resolution?
It is still using the 4 million pixels - the camera doesn't change the "pixel resolution screen" on the camera when you go from 4MP to 2MP. The sensor still needs 2 times the light going from 4MP to 2MP, so the native 2MP camera will result in a better image at night. The firmware will make some attempt at downrezing it, but it could be a complete crap image or a usable image, but if there is a concern that the 4MP isn't performing or wouldn't perform well at night, then it is better to go with the 2MP.

I have a 4MP and 2MP on the same 1/2.8" sensor and the picture quality is quite different between the two and the 2MP kicks it's butt at night.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

My 2MP cameras outperform my neighbors 4K (8MP) cameras....why....because they are both on the same size sensor.

When we had a thief come thru here and get into a lot of cars, the police couldn't use one video or photo from anyone's system but mine. Not even my other neighbors $1,300 8MP system provided useful info - the cams just didn't cut it at night.

My neighbor tried the "I will just downrez the 8MP to 2MP" and the image was a soft dark mess.

His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from Andy here based on my recommendation and seeing my results. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras and he cannot figure out why downrezing from 8MP to 2MP doesn't work properly... It is all about the amount of light needed and getting the right camera for the right location and downrezing doesn't change the physics of the camera.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).