2nd opinion,

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What i'm planning on doing. is setting up a dvr in one of my sheds in the garden. Basically i have a old Swann 4 channel DVR. its not a HD one. i only want to view the cameras via the Swann netviewer app on my laptop at home. how i plan on doing this is this way. I have my indoor router. and another router set up in one of my sheds connected via a 50m ethernet cable. it works fine giving me good speed and wifi. i have a old dahua 16 channel dvr connected to the router in the shed. plus a few ip cameras now because i needed more ports than what the router as i connected a netgear port switch. this is the part i'm not sure of. if i put my Swann dvr in my other shed and connect it to the port switch using a 20m ethernet cable and power up the DVR. i should be able to view the cameras using the Swann app. am i correct or have i missed something out i;d rather ask before pulling cable then finding out it wont work,,

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.

I tried drawing my conception of what you have and what you're wanting to do and my scribbles resembles the play that sent the San Francisco 49ers (AMERCAN football) to the Super Bowl after defeating the Dallas Cowboys in 1981. :lol:

Could you draws us a simple sketch of what you have with a notation of what you want to do ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, that's great...helps a lot. I thought that's where you were headed but just wanted to make sure we were literally "on the same page."

Not sure why you have a second router in the existing shed; I'd simplify things by eliminating it and put all downstream devices on the switch, also put all devices on the same subnet (like 192.168.1.XXX or 192.168.0.XXX or 10.0.0.XXX...you get it). You should be able to use the subnet than the first router's LAN is on now.

From the chosen subnet, assign unique static IP's to all devices (both DVR's/NVR's and all camera) and either reserve those IP's in the first router or use IP's from outside the router's DHCP pool.

If you don't have enough ports on the existing switch or don't want to spend the $$$ for one, you could even convert that second router that's in the existing shed basically into a switch by logging into it, assign it a static IP (from your chosen subnet), turn off / disable the DHCP server, and plug all network device into its LAN ports, leave the WAN port empty. If it's wireless then it will just become a wireless access point with a switch, all routing and/or DHCP service would be performed by the first router in the house. If it's WAN port is currently being used then it's performing a double NAT (1st router LAN ==>>2nd router WAN==>> 2nd router LAN ==>> cameras ) which can decrease your network bandwidth / speed.

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks-you TonyR
I know the way i have done things looks silly but it was all set up 20 odd years ago before i had even heard of ip cams or even knew how to use the internet. i only started learning around 9 years ago. basically i keep parakeets at the bottom of my garden and wanted to watch them in the aviaries and in the nestboxes. so not knowing the first thing about cctv. i had to ask around at bird shows and other people i know. this is what i ended up doing. i didn't want a lot of cables coming into the house and not knowing about shotgun or ethernet cat 5 i would have used premade cable now it would have been 150ft long over 16 cables a lot of messing aroung digging trenches for pipes to put it in and were it would not go underground it would have been quite a bit of trouble.. so i went for a baxell 16 ch multiplexer. i put this in my shed pulled 2 cables to my house 1 ethernet and 1 coaxial the ethernet went to a baxall keyboard which the cable powered it and the coaxial went to a tv. and it worked great i used a lot shorter cables going to the cameras. i used this up until a couple of years ago. i was given a couple of dahua 16 ch dvrs so i simply plugged in the dahua thinking this would work oh no it wouldn't. i had to do a bit of igeri pokeri to get it working. this is why i put the spare router in the shed. i connected 2 routers plugged the dahua into the shed router this gives me access online. the other problem i had was if i needed to change channel the baxall keyboard was redundant. so although i could view all cams on my tv thats all i could do. so to fix this problem i pulled another ethernet cable from the house to the dahua and bought a pair of ethernet x usb convertors so now i can access the dvr using a mouse so all is good.. i now want to use this old swann dvr i now i can only view using the home ip but thats all i need. i'm not mad really,,

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, here goes....
  • If the old router in the existing shed has DHCP enabled as does the Swann DVR, then just plug in the Swann from the new shed into the switch as pictured.
  • If the old router in the existing shed has DHCP disabled, then find out what subnet its LAN is on and configure the Swann with a unique static IP in the same subnet as the shed router's LAN. That subnet will likely be the same as the house router which is performing the DHCP function (handing out IP's). If so use static IP's outside the house router's DHCP pool or reserve those IP's in the house router.
  • Cross fingers, toss eye of newt into the cauldron & stir :cool:

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cheers tony i will try plugging it in to the switch first. i will do it using some short cables first next to the switch. see what happens ,,

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi TonyR
Success it will work. i have done a test i set it up indoors first of all just to make sure everything still works. it took me half hour to remember the password as i still have the netviewer app on my laptop. which was handy not having to download it all again. and once i sorted the password it all worked fine. so then i took everything down to the shed were the netgear switch is set it all up with short cables. i went back to my laptop and it works ok. so i know that when the rain eventually stops and i can pull the ehternet cable from 1 shed to the other all will be ok. they was no messing with ip addresses so i'm pleased about that while i was looking through all the bits and bobs i was given with the other dvrs i found a couple of old ptz domes so i may set one up if i can figure how ,

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi TonyR
i got around to pulling the cat5 from one shed to the other. and connected a couple of cameras and it all works fine i can view the cameras on the app. i only had one slight problem. but that was my own fault. i got a cheap cat5 off ebay and connected it i was careful when pulling it from A to b. only 60ft of cable but they is 5. 45 degree bends i did use 1 inch plastic pipe to put it inside. but when i plugged it in it didn't work. so i dont know if it was the cable being faulty as i NEVER tried it before pulling it.. lesson learned the hard way. anyway i got a new cable tried it first to make sure it work before pulling it and now it's up and running,,