2nd trigger start recording while 1st trigger still recording

Mark G

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to configure BI to allow a trigger on camera 1 to be activated (and record) shortly after a trigger on camera 2 has started recording. I don't want to rely on groups because very often there will be no activity on camera 1. Let me be more specific on my scenario:

1) I have a camera pointed at my driveway (camera 2) and one in my garage (camera 1).
2) If someone pulls up to my driveway I only want to trigger a recording on camera 2.
3) However, if someone pulls up to my driveway and then pulls into the garage, I want to trigger a recording on camera 2 when they pull in the driveway but also trigger camera 1 when the garage door opens.

Right now it seems that as long as the trigger for camera 2 is recording, camera 1 does not record. So, I have a scenario when someone pulls in my garage but I don't get a triggered recording from camera 2 until they have exited the vehicle and are nearly in the house. It's as if as long as the first trigger is recording, the second trigger on an entirely different camera can not occur.

I hope this makes sense. I looked for a solution here but all I saw was the suggestion to have camera 2 automatically trigger camera 1. If I used that setting I would get unneeded recordings anytime someone pulled in my driveway but not into my garage.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mark

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now it seems that as long as the trigger for camera 2 is recording, camera 1 does not record.
That should not be the case...you have something set incorrectly...each camera is independent....post images of your recording settings for both cams..also what is your cpu consumption while recording?

Mark G

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I will double-check my settings. CPU is about 35%.

Mark G

n3wb
Reaction score
Definitely finding situations where the second trigger is being delayed until well after the first trigger has stopped recording. On one camera, it records my wife pulling in the driveway. That recording starts at 13:14:51 and ends at 13:15:13. The second camera inside the garage doesn't trigger until she already pulled in, parked and is getting out with her groceries. It doesn't trigger until 13:16:34.

Here are images of my recording settings for both cameras. Amcrest is front yard and Dlink is garage.

Interestingly the converse was not an issue. She entered the garage from the house, opened the garage door and exited on foot out the driveway to take the dog for a walk and both triggers worked as one would expect.

I'm beginning to suspect that the outdoor camera is too high resolution and it's too busy saving that recording to have time to start the second recording on time.

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely finding situations where the second trigger is being delayed until well after the first trigger has stopped recording. On one camera, it records my wife pulling in the driveway. That recording starts at 13:14:51 and ends at 13:15:13. The second camera inside the garage doesn't trigger until she already pulled in, parked and is getting out with her groceries. It doesn't trigger until 13:16:34.

Here are images of my recording settings for both cameras. Amcrest is front yard and Dlink is garage.

Interestingly the converse was not an issue. She entered the garage from the house, opened the garage door and exited on foot out the driveway to take the dog for a walk and both triggers worked as one would expect.

I'm beginning to suspect that the outdoor camera is too high resolution and it's too busy saving that recording to have time to start the second recording on time.
You are likely mistaking failing to trigger with delay...the cameras have nothing to do with each other..blue iris never delays one camera so it can record another...double check your motion settings for the camera with the "delay"

Mark G

n3wb
Reaction score
You are likely mistaking failing to trigger with delay...the cameras have nothing to do with each other..blue iris never delays one camera so it can record another...double check your motion settings for the camera with the "delay"
Thanks for the response. I don't see any motion settings for delay and don't remember ever making and changes like this from the default. Aside from the "too busy recording the other trigger theory" I supposed its possible that bright glare from the open garage door is washing out the image enough to suppress the trigger until the camera gets a fix on an object that isn't obscured by the glare. I will test this by trying the same scenario after sunset tonight. I appreciate the prompt assistance you are providing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I don't see any motion settings for delay and don't remember ever making and changes like this from the default. Aside from the "too busy recording the other trigger theory" I supposed its possible that bright glare from the open garage door is washing out the image enough to suppress the trigger until the camera gets a fix on an object that isn't obscured by the glare. I will test this by trying the same scenario after sunset tonight. I appreciate the prompt assistance you are providing.
That is my point..there are no settings for delay...you have improperly configured motion detection so it takes more movement to trigger..so sometimes you dont get a trigger at all and sometimes its delayed...fix your settings. The default settings will not work...every camera needs to be properly set.

Mark G

n3wb
Reaction score
That is my point..there are no settings for delay...you have improperly configured motion detection so it takes more movement to trigger..so sometimes you dont get a trigger at all and sometimes its delayed...fix your settings. The default settings will not work...every camera needs to be properly set.
If I can confirm glare is the problem my next step actually will be to try adjust the camera in attempt to sufficiently reduce or eliminate the glare. I would prefer being able to record the object in motion earlier - not simply wait until its moved beyond the area obscured by glare.

reamer59

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having what seem like the same problem, it takes about 4 seconds before motion is detected so if you move your hand over the camera and then remove it before approximately 4 seconds, there is no recording of your hand. I also have a Dahua camera on the same system which has the same motion detect setting and it works okay. If it is a setting problem would you know what setting would cause a delay in motion detection as I have spent a week playing with it and I can't figure out where I might have gone wrong. Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having what seem like the same problem, it takes about 4 seconds before motion is detected so if you move your hand over the camera and then remove it before approximately 4 seconds, there is no recording of your hand. I also have a Dahua camera on the same system which has the same motion detect setting and it works okay. If it is a setting problem would you know what setting would cause a delay in motion detection as I have spent a week playing with it and I can't figure out where I might have gone wrong. Thanks in advance.
It can be either the iframe intervals in your camera are set too long but I frame interval should match the FPS, or you have selected limit decoding in blue Iris video tab, without understanding the ramifications.

reamer59

n3wb
Reaction score
It can be either the iframe intervals in your camera are set too long but I frame interval should match the FPS, or you have selected limit decoding in blue Iris video tab, without understanding the ramifications.
Firstly, Thanks for the quick response. Also I am so sorry but I'm using a Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2 NVR, 2x DS-2CD2185FWD-I IP cameras also a Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A camera. I didn't know what blue iris was until I just looked it up, I was so desperate for a solution that when I found someone with the same problem I didn't realise the recording method was different. Please accept my apology.

Last edited: