3 months of footage, how to achieve?

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am about to setup 48 cameras all 4 MP's, setup will be motion detection,
Scenario would be kind of crowded during the day as it is a public area so it will be recording heavily during the day
Company wants 3 months of footage, I got 13 4TB HDD so this is aprox. 50 TB,
Thinking on what to do with the HDD, any idea on how to attain this kind of setup?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Use a 64ch nvr with 8hdd one.
Or use 16hdd model. Dahua nvr each hdd can support 8tb ,easy to work. but not sure if your cam are onvif one or not .

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There are so many variables its hard to say and everyone's setup is different. Are you using VBR or CBR? H.264 or H.265? FPS? Can your cameras use substreams so that you can record continuous 24x7 in the substream but only record motion alerts in 4MP quality using Blue Iris?

Forgetting about substreams just for a second, just to give you a rough "ball park" one of my 4MP 5442's that covers the street in front of my house streams at around a 500KB/s with its main high quality stream at 15fps using H.265. So that 30MB every minute or 1.8GB every hour or 43GB every day. For your setup using the same numbers I just gave you, 48 cameras * 43GB/day = 2.1TB/day. 2.1TB/day * 90 = 189TB to cover recording continuously for 90 days.

You will be able to tremendously reduce this amount of storage by using the brand new option in Blue Iris that allows you to record the camera's lower quality substream 24x7 and only switch over to the 4MP high quality stream when motion is detected. This will save you orders of magnitudes of storage. Using the same camera above, when using this new feature, my nightly 24 hour recordings are only about 150MB while my daily recordings are about 400MB. Its a massive savings in storage space.

Your other problem is how are you going to fit 13 3.5" drives into a tower? Gonna be a big tower with lots of drive enclosures. And why did you purchase small 4TB drives? Are these used?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t the answer obvious? Calculate your space requirements, if you have existing footage then it should be fairly easy to work out.

Then add the required disk space so if it means upgrading the existing disks then advise the customer what they need to do and how much it will likely cost.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am about to setup 48 cameras all 4 MP's, setup will be motion detection,
Scenario would be kind of crowded during the day as it is a public area so it will be recording heavily during the day
Company wants 3 months of footage, I got 13 4TB HDD so this is aprox. 50 TB,
Thinking on what to do with the HDD, any idea on how to attain this kind of setup?
Thank you in advance
Does the company know you are inexperienced?