3 Problems

thestip

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got a few issues that I could use a hand figuring out:

1) "bad" clip images: I was just looking through some recordings when I noticed some of the images used in the Clips window do not appear in the actual recording. EG: In the image shown for one clip, I see my daughter in the driveway picking something up. When I play that clip, (19 seconds long, 3 second pre-buffer) she's not on the driveway at all but in the far corner of the video and only for a moment. How am I getting an image of something for the clip that wasn't even recorded? Better question: if the image shows her there, why was nothing recorded of her walking to/from that spot?* This is happening on more than one clip on both cameras.

2) Negative drive space: Sometime last night BI decided that my USB drive (2TB WD Purple) had -270G of free space available when there is 1.8TB free. I can copy data to and from the drive without problem. I checked "Do not check for free space", that fixed it but I shouldn't have to do that. I found complaints of this for older versions but most of those users said the problem went away with an upgrade. I'm running 4.1.8.1 and I tried to check for an upgrade, but BI says there's a problem with my internet connection. There isn't. People can see the web page BI is serving just fine, I can surf the web from that machine and use Remote Desktop to access it from my laptop.

3) "Missing" recordings: This morning, I went to the mailbox. (thrilling, I know) I have video of me going to it and getting the mail, but no video of me coming back the same way a few seconds later. Any idea why? (The mailbox itself is masked due to too many cars triggers, but the path I take isn't. It takes several seconds to pass through the area so it should have triggered again when I walked back.) On another camera, I noticed a recording of me in the driveway walking towards the front door for 2-3 seconds, then I'm gone for a moment only to briefly re-appear in the corner, walking out of the video... like it stopped recording for just a few seconds and merged the clips. Why would it stop recording when I'm still moving through the picture?

*Both cameras are set to motion only, 15fps, trigger is set for .5 seconds and end trigger unless re-triggered is at 10 seconds. Min object size is roughly 400 and min contrast is roughly 35. Pre-buffer is at 60 (4 seconds)

I just did one more test: I walked to my truck in the driveway and back. Right through a a big red hotspot on the motion mask. There is no video at all of me walking to my truck, only me standing behind it. It ends with me taking a few steps back towards the house (which should have re-triggered and continued recording.) With buffering 60 frames, I should have a complete video of me walking to the truck and back. I then walked to the mailbox again. This time, there was only video of me walking back, none of me walking towards it even though I took the same path.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@thestip
1) Try regenerating the database. Are you using combine and cut?
2) This occurs because you set your recording folder size in excess of the available drive space. Read the help file under "status bar". You can install updates direct from the blue iris website if the update button is not working.
3) This is likely caused by having object detect reject selected. Make sure its unselected for each camera in the motion tab.

thestip

n3wb
Reaction score
1) Did that. Then restarted BI. Then rebooted the PC. Nothing changed. (I don't care about the past clips, I just want to be sure future clips don't have this issue) I was using combine/cut but I just unchecked it.
2) The folder sizes should have all been under the available space, but I went ahead and set them to 300G/1000G/300G now.
3) Object detect/reject is now off for both cameras.

As for the update not working, somehow Win 7's anti-virus app tagged a vital dll file as a trojan and quarantined it.

Did a few test walks again, those settings seemed to have fixed the recording problems. As for the clip image, I'll wait and see, but I'm going to assume that's fixed as well.

So, once again, THANKS!! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@thestip Make sure to exclude blue iris exe (or even the entire blue iris directory) from AV scanning...
With respect to #1, combine and cut shouldnt make a difference. The image should be the first trigger of the clip..the reason I ask is that if you have a long combine and cut, one frame image doesnt really matter. You can just view alerts and go straight to the events...