32 Camera install complete Thank you for your help!!

By the Book Networking

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just thought I would share a install that has been in the works for a while.
Cameras have been installed since September of 2017. After a 2 Computer changes we finally got it figured out and working to our satisfaction.

Some info of whats going on.

12 users access the site from head office using UI3.
All cameras set to motion detect with a 10 sec pre record.
30 4MP Hikvision Turret 10FPS
1 Geovision 360,
1 Yunch PTZ ( to be replaced with 1 that works ). 15fps.

Systems runs around 35% CPU, all cameras set to direct to disk with hardware acceleration enabled!
8 TB ( 4X2) WD purple with 128gb SSD
2 Gigabit lan cards, (all cameras on private lan)
5500' of cat5e used, 48 port POE switch used.

Upon switching to the new server, blue iris ran into a ram leak during the backup. Everything had to be reprogrammed from scratch but it was worth it in the end.

I had a lot of fun with this project, I have many more blue iris applications coming up!

I would like to thank everyone on the forum for your help and knowledge. Without your help I would still be trying to encode 33 streams :lmao:

Here are some pictures of the install!

Attachments

By the Book Networking

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Computer is a HP Z620 Workstation.
Equipped with 2X Intel Xeon Hex Core E5-2620 V2 at 2Ghz,
16 GB ECC memory, this will be upgraded when we add more cameras in the future
8TB of WD purple with a 128GB SSD for the OS and BI.
Redundant power supply attached to a UPS so the system can operate for 1 hour without power, the network is also attached to backup power as well.
We picked up the desktop for $599 CAD and for the cost to performance our team thought this would be a good route.
Only downside is power consumption.

We had to downgrade to windows 7 pro because of the issues of windows update and the constant background tasks.
a security system should never reboot because of a "windows update" lol

Last edited:

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
just a heads up on changing the color for each camera in the setup. When I changed my camera color it disassociated all the recorded footage from before the color change, and it would no longer playback footage recorded prior to the color change. I will freely admit I am not an expert on blue iris and perhaps I did something wrong but it is worth mentioning since it could affect you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
just a heads up on changing the color for each camera in the setup. When I changed my camera color it disassociated all the recorded footage from before the color change, and it would no longer playback footage recorded prior to the color change. I will freely admit I am not an expert on blue iris and perhaps I did something wrong but it is worth mentioning since it could affect you.
that likely occurred because you changed the camera name as well

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
that likely occurred because you changed the camera name as well
Ah that could be the case, I did name the camera "Front Door" but I don't recall when that change was made from "Camera 1" or whatever it was. Thanks for the info @fenderman

Reaction score
Wowsa just wow. #respect #envious Too many motion events a day drive me crazy, looks like you have events almost all the time (at least during the day). From the images its a little hard to tell but do you have good chance of identification or get a hi-rez inbound so you can follow anything on the overview camera back to some point to get an ID?