3D printer surveillance

aag

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to watch a 3D printer which carries out prints over several days. A wired network is available, hence a small IP cam would be ideal. A Wifi Cam would also do, but I expect the wired connection to be more stable. The cam has to be small, since I will mount it on top of the printer's frame.

I was looking at the TP-Link NC260 but posts in this forum say that its output is incompatible with any third-party software. Something outputting standard "hackable" video would be preferable. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Amcrest IP2M-841 (re-branded Dahua) could also serve your needs, I think. It's ONVIF compatible, provides RTSP, is 1080p, 2-way audio plus mike in/speaker out, has pan/tilt/digital zoom, wired or wireless and has alarm in/out, great with Blue Iris, VLC, etc. Available in white, black or silver for under $60.

I have installed it and it's lower-res cousin (720p) , the IPM-721 at 5 locations and no hiccups after 3 years.

I think the Wyze is doable but as purchased requires some firmware hack.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My 3D Printers are about 10 feet away from my Blue Iris computer so I just use a couple of USB cams. I only enable them when I'm printing but I can view them from anywhere via Blue Iris...

Reaction score
Hey. Look, it's not difficult to find a quality 3D printer, but you must understand that it is a big expense. The fact is that 3D printers require a lot of plastic to work. These costs range at $ 1,000 per month. I'm even wondering for what purpose you need a 3D printer. Forgive me for my curiosity :)
I have never worked with 3D printers and the only thing I can recommend is a regular laser printer from Brother . They have awesome printers and they are very durable and high quality.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I would add to watch the minimum focal distance of any camera you consider. You mention "mounting it on the frame" which would put it quite close to the area of interest. Alternately, consider mounting the camera a little further away.

Reaction score
Where could I find a good 3D printer? I'm using a Canon now and I don't like how it prints at all. When I edit in the program, a result comes out when I print something completely different. I'm desperate and nervous all at once. I am working on an important project and time is pressing me.
Can anyone help me with some advices I don't owe you!
_
P.S. Thank you very much,
Respectfully, Edward Clarke, 3D engineer.
Best Edible Printer Reviews 2020 - Newbie Buying Guide
____

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I use octoprint on a Raspberry Pi with a cheap USB webcam. It allows me to watch and control the printer. Also has an RTSP feed so it's a cam in BI as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I use octoprint on a Raspberry Pi with a cheap USB webcam. It allows me to watch and control the printer. Also has an RTSP feed so it's a cam in BI as well!

snagged a creality cr-10s, my first 3D printer. In the midst of setting it up now. I know to get some upgrades (better bed, micro swiss hotend, etc). A camera. Hmm. I too, will be having a dedicated Pi3 w/octoprint. You use a USB webcamera. A cheap one at that. I have been SUPER spoiled by Dahua IP cameras, and know the do's/dont's. But what is critical for a 3D printer USB camera? lighting? focal length? If your USB webcam covers all that, can give out the model # ?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
snagged a creality cr-10s, my first 3D printer. In the midst of setting it up now. I know to get some upgrades (better bed, micro swiss hotend, etc). A camera. Hmm. I too, will be having a dedicated Pi3 w/octoprint. You use a USB webcamera. A cheap one at that. I have been SUPER spoiled by Dahua IP cameras, and know the do's/dont's. But what is critical for a 3D printer USB camera? lighting? focal length? If your USB webcam covers all that, can give out the model # ?
Nothing fancy. Just a Logitech C270 I got from target for $20 or so. I took the faceplate off and used some 3D printed parts to make a focus ring. The focus is glued in place but I found someone made a ring for it on Thingiverse. As well as the arm to hold it. Just peel the glue off and snap the ring on so you can focus it for the up close hot end.
image-2022-01-08-09:22:24-248.jpg
I mounted it so it moves with the Z-axis and zip-tied the cable to the cable chain so it doesn’t tangle.

Reaction score
You mention "mounting it on the frame" which would put it quite close to the area of interest. Alternately, consider mounting the camera a little further away.
I need to watch a 3D printer which carries out prints over several days. A wired network is available, hence a small IP cam would be ideal. A Wifi Cam would also do, but I expect the wired connection to be more stable. The cam has to be small, since I will mount it on top of the printer's frame.
turkey real estate
I was looking at the TP-Link NC260 but posts in this forum say that its output is incompatible with any third-party software. Something outputting standard "hackable" video would be preferable. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Was having a MAJOR issue with bed adhesion after upgrading to a MicroSwiss hot end. Stupid me. A little plastic part fell off and I didn't know what it did so left it off to the side. Well, it was the part fan shroud :) Once I installed it back on, 2 successful prints (sorta ... but the bed/camera handle print has 1 issue...maybe dirty filament). Now, can use octolapse which kinda has to be a camera attached to the bed, not frame.
PXL_20220203_030639720.jpg