3rd party camera setup on LaView NVR

Pinball2k

n3wb
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I purchased an 8 port LaView NVR system with 4 cameras. I have 2 other IP cameras I want to use with the system. They are two different brands but both claim to be ONVIF compliant. I was able to install both of these on my LaView system and can see the image from these cameras just fine. However:

1. I tried to set up a date/time overlay for each camera and it does not display. The LaView acts like it is working and lets me move the text around but when I click OK, no text overlay appears.
2. Although the images from the two cameras look great, they do not record. I have both setup for continuous recording but they don't record at all. The two cameras are from LeadTek and Huacam.

Of course, I called LaView tech support and they gave up after an hour and told me the cameras where not comparable and to call the cameramanufacturer. When I asked why the camera images looked fine and yet the overlay did not appear, the said they don't know.

I hope someone can help me get these cameras fully functioning.
Thanks In Advance.

P.S. I was playing around with it today and I noticed something that may be important. When I configure each of the two 3rd party cameras for motion detection, I select the full screen. This puts red checkerboard pattern over the whole image. When I save each of these detection maps, and go back to them, what was a full screen of red checkerboard is now a half screen. The whole bottom half of the screen does not have the red checkerboard pattern. This is the same for both cameras even though they are two different brands.[/FONT]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
off brand cameras often cannot be configured via NVR, IF motion detection and date/time overlay can be picked up you'll have to do them directly on the Camera's configuration.. the NVR does not lay down date/time stamps onto the video feed, thats the camera's job.. same for detecting motion.

as for not recording, you probably need to play with the video settings on the cameras and find a compatible format/config your self.

Pinball2k

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks you for spending the time to answer my inquiry.
I asked the same questions to LeadTek, one of the cameras I have. and this is what they said.
[FONT=&amp]Thank you for the purchase. Our FAE replied as below:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1. Leadtek camera supports onvif protocol.Camera video is recorded by your NVR, so this is NVR's problem, please contact LaView to solve your problem.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]2. Please contact LaView to check overlay function, using onvif function or NVR draw the text on the video?[/FONT]
I know the language is not really clear on the overlay, I will ask them to clarify. It seems to me the NVR does the overlay. In the LaView app, I move the text around and change the format etc. That would be really hard to do with the camera being controlled by the LaView app in real-time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont care what they said, I can assure you.. the timestamp displayed on the video feed is encoded on the camera.. your NVR would have to decode, add the timestamp, and re-encode.. in realtime, and thats not happening.

SamIam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having same issue with adding an Amcrest IPM-721s to an 8-port, PoE, LaView NVR (LV-N9808C8E) seeing live view video, but not recording. I tried changing video encoding type, but still, no video records appear in the playback section on the NVR. Strangely, I can use the LaView's web interface to setup recording video from the Amcrest to my management PC's hard drive. LaView just refuses to record to its own hard drive like it does for all the LaView cameras.

Pinball2k

n3wb
Reaction score
I have gotten the NVR to record from one of my ONVIF cameras. I did it by enabling full screen motion detection and setting the schedule to 24 hours 7 days/week. In the MVMS700 application I can see the recording on the NVR. The only issue is it looks like it is in continuous record mode. I'm still playing with it and will report my progress here.

jasstrom

n3wb
Reaction score
If either of you are getting notifications of responses to your posts, I look forward to hearing from you. Nayr, you seem to be all over ipcamtalk, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Pinball2k, I'm guessing we own the same 8 channel Laview NVR. I have spent more time than I should have toying with it. I should have just taken the more powerful chipsets from a retired PC and set up 24/7 with Blue Iris. Still, I'm presently doing my best to tweak the NVR with 4 x 2mp Laview cams, and 4 Reolink cams (2x 410, 1 x423, 1 x 411). I think I saw Nayr comment about Reolink somewhere in honest terms: cheap and of questionable quality / longevity. Sorry if I have that wrong. The Reos are all 4mp, and the video quality is superior to the Laview (rebranded Hikvision some say and succesfully flash).

Laview support just gave me a link to a NVR firmware that they haven't posted on their website. After flashing the NVR, I no longer get a "camera incompatible" (or somesuch) message that I used to get when trying to set motion detection from the NVR on the Reos. However, the NVR isn't recording motion detection for replay. I'm not sure if I have the cameras set properly, or if the "incompatible" message just wasn't encoded. Any ideas?

For the moment (with 8 TB of HDD), I have distributed every other cam around my perimeter, the motion activated cams with the Reos. So, I'm able to isolate times to look at the constant record from the Reos. I'd still like to diminish the HDD burden by making the Reos motion activated.

Thanks in advance.

Pinball2k

n3wb
Reaction score
I was also thinking of going with Blue Iris but decided against it because of the time-to-working commitment required. Instead, I purchased 2 LaView camera on sale and I'm pretty happy I did. I use the system all the time and it works well. I'll "play" with Blue Iris sometime but I do have a completely working system.

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time setting up motion detection with Laview NVR and cameras. The grids won't save to what I draw them at and revert to different areas I didn't draw. I have the latest firmware they sent me to resolve another issue I had. The guides are not informative and the support has been sub par to say the least.

KBNG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have few questions regarding setting LAview and Hikvision IP Camera to LAview NVR via PoE interface. Any help would be very appreciated.

1) I have successful added LAview camera to NVR via PoE port only if the camera as inactive state (the brand new camera received from LAview).
If the camera have been activated (username/password changed), I could not add it to NVR any longer (both Plug and Play and Manual)
My question: Is anyone know the password to access the camera after it added to NVR? I tried username: admin password:12345 (default password), but it does not work

2) I would like to add couple of Hikvision PoE camera to LAview NVR's PoE interface.
I tried to add it with both modes (Plug and Play and Manual)
My question: Is there a way to do it?

Thank you so much for you help.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My question: Is anyone know the password to access the camera after it added to NVR? I tried username: admin password:12345 (default password), but it does not work
On Hikvision NVRs, the password used to activate a camera in Plug&Play mode is either the NVR password, or the camera-specific password that can be configured in the Camera Management screen on the VGA./HDMI interface.
Hopefully that will also be the case on the LaView NVR.

KBNG

n3wb
Reaction score
On Hikvision NVRs, the password used to activate a camera in Plug&Play mode is either the NVR password, or the camera-specific password that can be configured in the Camera Management screen on the VGA./HDMI interface.
Hopefully that will also be the case on the LaView NVR.
Thank you, Alastair.
I will try it when I get home tonight.