3tb WD Purple Drive/ External/BI Help

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I received a internal 3TB Purple drive for holidays. I have a few questions:
The pc i bought a few month was a Lenovo M92p small desktop with a smaller ssd. I opened it and found no extra slot for my drive. I did have a extra sata port on motherboard but i did not see any other wiring for power. My next thought was a usb 3.0 enclosure for it. I would like BL to but all recording to this drive.

I am looking for suggestions. pros? cons? Of converting to external drive, or try to make it a internal some how.

dalepa

Reaction score
i velcro'd an 2.5in usb3 to my M92p. Moved off all the BI data (clips, storage, new) to the USB3 and just kept the database on the C SSD drive. works like a champ so far.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you recommending remove small ssd - velco to side with a usb 3.0 adapter - run operating system off that? and then put the 3tb 3.5 inside?

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have space in the case to retrofit the HDD, you can pick up a Molex double adapter for a few dollars, to keep it all in the same box.

However, if this is not an option I don't see any other option but to go with the external enclosure, as dalepa suggested. I also have BI running on a system with an SSD, with only the application files and the database. The streams are set to go directly to network storage which avoids the impact on the SSD and provides plenty of storage space, greater access control and is easily accessible to devices with permissions on the server.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think there is any room in that case, its really small there is not room for a 3.5 drive....also the it uses the sata power adapter not the molex ones :)
Another option is to pull the ssd and add a 2.5 1tb drive in there.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The pc came with a 3.5 1tb drive but it is thinner than most i have seen. It measures 1/4" smaller . There might be room to attach the ssd some how to case on bottom? Even if i could I do not see a power source just a sata port!

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont think there is any room in that case, its really small there is not room for a 3.5 drive....also the it uses the sata power adapter not the molex ones :)
Yeah, good point fenderman. I didn't check out the board earlier. The Molex > SATA power isn't really a problem, but from what I can see there are two SATA power ports.

The pc came with a 3.5 1tb drive but it is thinner than most i have seen. It measures 1/4" smaller . There might be room to attach the ssd some how to case on bottom? Even if i could I do not see a power source just a sata port!
If somehow you do work out how to attach the second drive, SATA power can be connected. Though I think it might be a lot more difficult than is worth doing, the form factor is very limited.

Attachments

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That might work! would there be any negative effect on mother board? Drawing to much power?
How hot does a ssd compared the 3.5?
I might be able to tape them to each other then fold down the unit.

dalepa

Reaction score
Why 3.5in drives? Just get 2-3 of these USB3 $99 2TB 2.5" externals and velcro them to the M92p You can even setup your cams to use different drives, or storage spaces for one large pool.

How many cams do you plan to setup on this M92p?

At this point i would be best to used usb3.0 out of back of PC to external drive for BI to save recordings to. Do you agree?

something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-K32-SU3-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B0065DUJ0C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1420128673&sr=8-9&keywords=3.5+external+hard+drive+enclosure+usb3.0

My only other thought was to another pc that is housing the new 3tb drive over network . Does that get complicated?

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At this point i would be best to used usb3.0 out of back of PC to external drive for BI to save recordings to. Do you agree
Aside from utilizing an extra power point, I think it would be the easiest solution.

Unless you have plans to set up another PC for other uses as well as BI, it would be the less efficient option and would involve more setup/maintenance efforts.

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That might work! would there be any negative effect on mother board? Drawing to much power?
How hot does a ssd compared the 3.5?
I might be able to tape them to each other then fold down the unit.
Running one extra drive will have no negative affect on the PC.

There is a marginal difference between the heat generation of an HDD to SSD. The HDD, depending on spindle speed will have a much higher heat dispersion.

Last edited by a moderator:

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@dalepa Right now I have 3 hik 2032 and two foscam FI8910w , Possible that in near future will have one more Hik added. I would have to purchase the two external drives for 200, when I have a 3tb free

Last edited by a moderator:

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with the eSATA suggestion totally. I have always sort out an eSATA option over USB on my enclosures. USB 3.0 definitely lifted the standard for transfer rates, but it it still doesn't compare to SATA :eagerness:

• USB 1.1 = 12 Mbit/s
  • Firefire 400 = 400 Mbit/s
  • - USB 2.0 = 480 Mbit/s
  • FireWire 800 = 800 Mbit/s
  • -- USB 3.0 = 5 Gbit/s
  • --- eSATA = Up to 6 Gbit/s right now as it depend on the internal SATA chip.
  • Thunderbolt = 10 Gbit/s × 2 (2 channels)
  • Thunderbolt 2 = 20 Gbit/s

...and one of these could do the job at around $5 (with an enclosure) http://amzn.com/B001GV5WBE

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with the eSATA suggestion totally. I have always sort out an eSATA option over USB on my enclosures. USB 3.0 definitely lifted the standard for transfer rates, but it it still doesn't compare to SATA :eagerness:

• USB 1.1 = 12 Mbit/s
  • Firefire 400 = 400 Mbit/s
  • - USB 2.0 = 480 Mbit/s
  • FireWire 800 = 800 Mbit/s
  • -- USB 3.0 = 5 Gbit/s
  • --- eSATA = Up to 6 Gbit/s right now as it depend on the internal SATA chip.
  • Thunderbolt = 10 Gbit/s × 2 (2 channels)
  • Thunderbolt 2 = 20 Gbit/s

...and one of these could do the job at around $5 (with an enclosure) http://amzn.com/B001GV5WBE
But how many drives can get to those speeds? You need to be running a RAID 0 to get that fast. My Samsung 1TB SSD will hit speeds of around 520MB/s. But that is only around 4.2Gb/s. I would need to run two SSDs in a RAID 0 to hit speeds of 6Gb/s.

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Of course, these are only theoretical speeds and in most cases real world test results can be subjective. There are more than enough debates on the topic in forums across the internet and it was not my intention of instigating one here ...but in my experience, there is no question that SATA clearly provides better performance than USB 3.0 in all cases. Again, this is only based on my own experiences however they do correspond with the theoretical statistics established by the respective standards.

In relation to the OP's intended use, I don't believe any advantage over the other would be seen by either USB or SATA. Both are more then adequate to get the job done comfortably.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like that drive cage could fit a standard hard drive...or you can just use the drive that camera with it...if you can squeeze the ssd in there somewhere do it and use a sata power splitter http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PYO2SATA-Power-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B002N2EHVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420129223&sr=8-1&keywords=sata+power+splitter
If the ssd doesnt fit in there, you can punch a hole in the case and run the ssd on the outside :)

I figured out i can keep it inside and zip tie SSD in holder to 3TB drive and cut off end of holder that are circled in red .No clearance issue I see.
I will use sata power splitter, Will there be any heat transfer problems?