4.2.8.4 Hardware Acceleration issue

Reaction score
Good morning,

I just updated from Blue iris 4.2.4 to 4.2.8.4 to attempt to take advantage of the hardware acceleration. Upon updating, I went to "options", "Cameras", and checked off "Use Intel HD Hardware acceleration for H.264 decoding". After enabling this feature, I restarted the blue iris service. Upon starting it again, all of my cameras were disconnected.

After playing around with it for a little while, I disabled running blue iris as a service. When I opened it back up, my cameras were connected again, and it appeared blue iris was using the hardware acceleration properly. My normal CPU usage is between 40%-50% and with hardware acceleration enabled, my CPU usage was between 20%-28%. I tried enabling the blue iris service again, however, I still had the same results, all cameras would disconnect soon as I restarted blue iris as a service.

I'm currently running blue iris as a service with hardware acceleration disabled and everything appears to be working properly.

I have a total of 9 IP cameras

4x Dahua 3MP bullet cameras IPC-HFW4300S
2x Dahua 1.3MP bullet cameras IPC-HFW 2100S
1x Dahus 2MP PTZ Dome (EYEsurv ESIP-PTZmicro)[h=3]1x Hikvision 4MP bullet (2CD2042WD-I)
1x Hikvision 3MP Turret EXIR 2CD2332-I [/h]
Blue Iris is running on a dedicated computer
Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit (All windows updates have been installed)
Intel Core i7 4790k
Gigabyte Z97N-wifi mini-itx motherboard
8GB of Crucial RAM
120GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD for Operation system
2x 4TB Western Digital purple for video storage
430W Power Supply

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been unsuccessful in getting the hardware acceleration to work on any of my Blue Iris machines. However I currently believe that it is something that I have not done correctly because QuickSync is not an option with any program that I have tried. e.g. Handbrake.

In Blue Iris I enabled Hardware Acceleration
Options H264.PNG

Then I went to each camera and selected YES
Camera Properties.PNG

All hardware is supposed to be Quick Sync compatible
Newest Drivers from Intel Support Site are Installed
GPU enabled in the Bios
Each system currently has a monitor connected to the M/B DVI connector using the onboard GPU.
(These systems were headless and I used RDP but I hooked up to monitors in the hopes that would resolve the issue)

System 1:
I7-2600K
Asus P8Z68-V Pro

System 2:
I7-4790K
Asrock H97M Pro4

Any ideas on what I need to do in order to correctly enable the Quick Sync so that I try this out?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been unsuccessful in getting the hardware acceleration to work on any of my Blue Iris machines. However I currently believe that it is something that I have not done correctly because QuickSync is not an option with any program that I have tried. e.g. Handbrake.

In Blue Iris I enabled Hardware Acceleration
View attachment 7592

Then I went to each camera and selected YES
View attachment 7593

All hardware is supposed to be Quick Sync compatible
Newest Drivers from Intel Support Site are Installed
GPU enabled in the Bios
Each system currently has a monitor connected to the M/B DVI connector using the onboard GPU.
(These systems were headless and I used RDP but I hooked up to monitors in the hopes that would resolve the issue)

System 1:
I7-2600K
Asus P8Z68-V Pro

System 2:
I7-4790K
Asrock H97M Pro4

Any ideas on what I need to do in order to correctly enable the Quick Sync so that I try this out?
Do you also have a discrete card in this unit?

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No discrete graphics cards in either unit.

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
Good find on unchecking run blue Iris as a service. This was driving me crazy. I unchecked run as service & all my cams came back. (except a cheap foscam, not a big deal). I can run the system off my UPS until this glitch is fixed. My cpu usage dropped from 40% without the console running down to 20% with the console running!

Again, good find.

Reaction score
Good find on unchecking run blue Iris as a service. This was driving me crazy. I unchecked run as service & all my cams came back. (except a cheap foscam, not a big deal). I can run the system off my UPS until this glitch is fixed. My cpu usage dropped from 40% without the console running down to 20% with the console running!
Again, good find.
Thanks,

I'm just going to keep Hardware acceleration off until the bug is fixed. I don't want to take a chance of BI crashing and not restarting automatically because it's not running as a service.

I emailed the developer about the bug, and he said I was the only person who reported this issue to him.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on your BI computer?

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
i5-3570k, Asrock Z77E-ITX, 8GB gSkill 1600 cas 8 ram, Mushkin 240GB SSD, recycled Seagate 3TB drive, FSP 300w sfx power supply.

It averages 44 watts during use now with hardware acceleration enabled. That's with 3 3MP cams at my place & 3 Foscam's at my parents apartment. I also add my sisters 3 Foscams at her place once in a while, when they're out of town or whatnot, and wattage stays the same at 44w.

Originally I tried Blue Iris on a AMD A4 5000 SoC board but it was a little under-powered. If he ever gets around to implementing acceleration on AMD platforms I might give it a go again. That little thing sips power & would be perfect for a small home setup if it used gpu acceleration.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The two in question are currently running Server 2008R2.
Both are running minimal extra software as their main purpose is Blue Iris.

I also get the same behavior on a Win7 x64 box that I use for testing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The two in question are currently running Server 2008R2.
Both are running minimal extra software as their main purpose is Blue Iris.

I also get the same behavior on a Win7 x64 box that I use for testing.
I would bet it has something to do with the server OS and possible the drivers for intel hd for server. If your windows 7 test machine was running the demo of blue iris that would explain why HA was not working.

Reaction score