4.4.8 - November 12, 2016

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.4.8 - November 12, 2016

• The client apps now use the FLAC audio compression codec. This lossless codec provides a lower bit rate yet much better audio quality than the previous μ-law configuration. Look for updates to the client apps.

• New by default, but optional, you may now also use lossless FLAC audio compression for BVR files. Previously, audio was stored uncompressed, potentially accounting for hundreds of MB/hour of storage. You will find the option on the Record tab's Format window.

• The ActiveX control has been updated to 4.0.0.9 in order to request and accommodate FLAC compressed audio.

• Several issues with H.264 decoding introduced with version 4.4.7's video component updates have been found and corrected.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated to this on one Windows 10 x64 machine, and the Blue Iris service began crashing within seconds of starting up (then it gets automatically restarted, and crashes again, in a loop).

I had to downgrade to 4.4.7.4, and I sent error logs to the developer. Here is the 4.4.7.4 update file in case this affects anyone else: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72769267/Blue Iris/update64_4.4.7.4.exe

Update: Ken wanted me to try to figure out if particular camera(s) were causing the crash, so I applied the update again, but I could not reproduce the crash. I can only assume the update failed somehow the first time it was installed, as everything is now working fine after installing the update a second time.

Update 2: Crashes resumed with 4.4.8.1. If anyone else experiences crashes, be sure to report them to the developer so the problem can be identified and fixed.

Update 3: Crashes ceased after I installed 4.4.8.3, but oddly I haven't been able to reproduce a crash on 4.4.8.1 or 4.4.8.0 since then. I must be going crazy. Dahua PTZ controls are broken since 4.4.8.1 by the way -- I've let Ken know, but I've again reverted to 4.4.7.4.

Update 4: Dahua PTZ controls were fixed at some point after 4.4.8.3, and now I'm running 4.4.8.8 stable and without apparent issue.

Last edited:

csiemers

n3wb
Reaction score
I found that the alert email messages from this version were going to my Junk mail with the error:
Please ensure the message is RFC 5322 compliant.

I reverted back to 4.4.7.4 and works like normal. Thanks for the link to the previous version.

BMS

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to have to "downgrade". Starting yesterday, my emails are not being stored in correct folder, there is no subject line, and the images are not contained in the email. Only getting gibberish in the email body. Confirmed with a neighbor that is having similar issues. Both are 4.4.8.0 versions.

csiemers

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to have to "downgrade". Starting yesterday, my emails are not being stored in correct folder, there is no subject line, and the images are not contained in the email. Only getting gibberish in the email body. Confirmed with a neighbor that is having similar issues. Both are 4.4.8.0 versions.
Blue Iris support's response it must be my mail system. I'm staying with 4.4.7.

BMS

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't think it's the email system. When you send yourself a test message manually, it works fine. It is Blue Iris 4.4.8.0.

arpad

n3wb
Reaction score
Experienced same situation where Blue Iris 4.4.8.0 crashed after startup....reverted back to previous version all working good again.

BMS

n3wb
Reaction score
What a mess. Anyone know how to "downgrade". I clicked the link above, downloaded and installed. Got a "can't run on this system" error. Thought I might have to delete the installation....wrong. Had to restore my computer to a previous restore point and ended up with an earlier version than 4.7, but hey, It works. More than I can say for 4.4.8.0. Turned off the automatic updates, so I guess I will wait until I get some confirmation that it really works before trying to update again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What a mess. Anyone know how to "downgrade". I clicked the link above, downloaded and installed. Got a "can't run on this system" error. Thought I might have to delete the installation....wrong. Had to restore my computer to a previous restore point and ended up with an earlier version than 4.7, but hey, It works. More than I can say for 4.4.8.0. Turned off the automatic updates, so I guess I will wait until I get some confirmation that it really works before trying to update again.
Generally you need to simply run the file. If you are running 32 bit then the 64 bit update will not work. You should never use auto update and manually download updates from the blue iris website so you can always revert back. Also, dont install updates a day after they are release, particularly a new revision with new features added unless you are running it on a test system.

BMS

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally you need to simply run the file. If you are running 32 bit then the 64 bit update will not work. You should never use auto update and manually download updates from the blue iris website so you can always revert back. Also, dont install updates a day after they are release, particularly a new revision with new features added unless you are running it on a test system.
Thanks, Lesson learned! It took me an hour to recover....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Lesson learned! It took me an hour to recover....
It is also a good idea to export and backup settings....you can reinstall the software in 60 seconds...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't your mail system, I'm seeing exactly the same behavior. It started with the first alert after the 2am auto-update.
Rule #1 disable auto update. Then email support to report it so it can be fixed.

Last edited:

sjthespian

n3wb
Reaction score
I have already sent a message off to support, I just wanted to share here that I'm seeing the same problem. From looking at the message, it appears to be corrupt headers, there is a newline and binary data before the In-Reply-To header.

References: cameraname

<U+200B>In-Reply-To: cameraname

If I remove the blank line and the binary data, the message is handled properly by my mail readers (Thunderbird and IOS Mail in this case).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try renaming that camera; perhaps it has some improperly handled characters at the end.. like a space or newline or different charset.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, my one camera I have configured to send email alerts with inline snapshots still sends email alerts fine on 4.4.8.0 64 bit. It sends via gmail.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I still get emailed alerts on 4.4.8.0 w/gmail. I also manually set a restore point before every BI update, just in case...

BMS

n3wb
Reaction score
How are we going to know when it is safe to upgrade to a newer version?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How are we going to know when it is safe to upgrade to a newer version?
Simple wait for a revision to be out for a while before updating...keep old install files...blue iris pushes new features and updates faster than any other software (not just VMS software) I have seen. Seems like folks have a compulsion to update immediately which makes no sense. I have 20+ blue iris machines, I follow this advice and NEVER have any issues. Basic common sense. It works.