4.6.0 - August 29, 2017

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.6.0 - August 29, 2017

• A new status icon (an orange database) appears in the lower/right area of the software UI whenever the database maintenance task is running. This task runs automatically each 5 minutes, but may require significant amounts of time to complete, especially if there are very large files to be transferred to external media.

• You can now manually kick-off the database maintenance task by using the right-click Database menu in the Clips window.

• A new setting on the PTZ/Presets window allows you to associate DIO input bit/s with preset positions. When the DIO input bits are detected, the PTZ preset position will be called. This allows you to move cameras in response to external triggers.

• The clip Move operation (from New to Stored for example) is now interruptible. Previously, moving several gigabyte files between drives may have been the cause for some failures to shutdown for software updates etc.

• The clip Move operation will show a progress bar on the clip that's being moved on the clips list.

• Manual clip move operations now display a cancelable progress display.

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still not getting any picture push notifications, but happy about more clip movement details.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This version might still have some wrinkles left to iron out. Installed earlier, came back tonight to C drive completely full. Also tried the new "run maintenance" feature but it didn't appear to do anything.

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After coming back, also noticed the same problem. Files aren't being moved from New to Stored.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As soon as I updated from 4.5.9.9 to 4.6.0.0 I got the disk full error (c: drive ran to 2.5MB free) and all 3 weeks of my alerts are gone. I reverted back to 4.5.9.9 and they are still gone. I regenerated the db and didn't help. Pretty frustrated every other version I have to clean up all my clips and start over.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as I updated from 4.5.9.9 to 4.6.0.0 I got the disk full error (c: drive ran to 2.5MB free) and all 3 weeks of my alerts are gone. I reverted back to 4.5.9.9 and they are still gone. I regenerated the db and didn't help. Pretty frustrated every other version I have to clean up all my clips and start over.
you should stop updating the day a new version pops up...simple common sense will help you avoid frustration...your video is still there...very unlikely that you need 3 weeks of alert markers to look back on...

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you should stop updating the day a new version pops up...simple common sense will help you avoid frustration...
I updated it today. 4.6.0.0 was released 2 days ago. I only checked this thread after experiencing issues.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated it today. 4.6.0.0 was released 2 days ago.
the point is still the same...wait a week or two...your video is still there..you dont need your alerts from 3 weeks ago....if you follow this common sense rule you wont have any issues...

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the point is still the same...wait a week or two...your video is still there..you dont need your alerts from 3 weeks ago....if you follow this common sense rule you wont have any issues...
Wait a week or two for what? So 4.6.0.2 might come out a week later, but should I wait another week or two? How long should I wait to know what bugs are ironed out and what new bugs will be released? I don't get that logic.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a week or two for what? So 4.6.0.2 might come out a week later, but should I wait another week or two? How long should I wait to know what bugs are ironed out and what new bugs will be released? I don't get that logic.
Exactly, wait a week or two, AFTER a release and THEN install it if you see users are not having problems...This is what I do and NEVER have any problems...it is so simple.
I have explained this many times...its REALLY simple...he can keep doing what hes doing and push NEW features every few weeks or do what the bigboys do and release an update once every six months to a year(if you are lucky)....I prefer it this way, so I can CHOOSE when I want to update but have features available right away...so Ill help you out, Feel free to post every six months and ask about a stable release, and Ill upload it for you...or move to another vms - they never have issues with updates :rolleyes:
The bottom line is you have the same affliction as those with cameras and firmware, they must have the latest release because it must be better...If you cant wait a few weeks then move to a package that only provides yearly updates...

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly, wait a week or two, AFTER a release and THEN install it if you see users are not having problems...This is what I do and NEVER have any problems...it is so simple.
I have explained this many times...its REALLY simple...he can keep doing what hes doing and push NEW features every few weeks or do what the bigboys do and release an update once every six months to a year(if you are lucky)....I prefer it this way, so I can CHOOSE when I want to update but have features available right away...so Ill help you out, Feel free to post every six months and ask about a stable release, and Ill upload it for you...or move to another vms - they never have issues with updates :rolleyes:
The bottom line is you have the same affliction as those with cameras and firmware, they must have the latest release because it must be better...If you cant wait a few weeks then move to a package that only provides yearly updates...
While this technique might work, if every member on this forum starts to follow that then NOBODY would be trying out the latest version and we won't know if any new bug is released. I don't see this as a sustainable method. I'd rather bring back up the heated topic of having better QA each release.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While this technique might work, if every member on this forum starts to follow that then NOBODY would be trying out the latest version and we won't know if any new bug is released. I don't see this as a sustainable method. I'd rather bring back up the heated topic of having better QA each release.
There are thousands of users of BI, only a small fraction are members here...there are also many users such as myself who load updates on a test system before updating primary machines....my point is I dont want better QA, that would mean months of waiting for updates, thats exactly the problem with all the other packages, requests are never entertained and new features are saved for new versions....like I said, you can do this on your own very effectively....
You do understand that there is ONE person developing this product...not a team of people...and you can bitch and moan all you want here, the developer doesnt read the forum...wont do you any good...he has been operating this same way from day one....those with common sense dont have issues...those with OCD and the burning need to foolishly update every time get burned...
These fast updates and feature additions are one of the best things about blue iris..

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...those with common sense dont have issues...those with OCD and the burning need to foolishly update every time get burned...
While I appreciate you describing the details of this workaround, it is far from what you classified as common sense. It's more of a convoluted way to getting around unstable releases. Auto-update, as far as I know, is turned on by default, so most users will get the latest release without their knowledge.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While I appreciate you describing the details of this workaround, it is far from what you classified as common sense. It's more of a convoluted way to getting around unstable releases. Auto-update, as far as I know, is turned on by default, so most users will get the latest release without their knowledge.
Yes it should be turned off...If you like we can do a teamviewer session and I can show you how to uncheck the auto update button...again, most releases are stable..every once in a while there is an issue...if you follow basic common sense, and yes it is common sense (which should be followed for ALL critical software, like OS etc) you wont have this problem...I have over 20 blue iris pc's dont have this problem....there is only so much a single developer can do....I would much prefer having the OPTION to update every few weeks with new features rather than yearly updates...its really that simple...come back in a year and i will personally provide to you a stable tested version of blue iris...you can update then...in the interim the rest of us will have the option to enjoy new features after applying common sense. Alternatively, let us know what stable VMS you choose and how that works out for you...

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could there be a beta channel and stable release channel? Seems that would solve Fenderman's concerns about slowing down new features/releases and also prevent the average user from installing very minor releases that seem to frequently have these game-ending bugs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Could there be a beta channel and stable release channel? Seems that would solve Fenderman's concerns about slowing down new features/releases and also prevent the average user from installing very minor releases that seem to frequently have these game-ending bugs.
That would be up to the developer....wishing and debating here is useless...point is you dont need him to do this..you can do this EASILY on your own - I have been doing this for years..NEVER had an issue......you further need to understand the the issues that come up here dont come up on EVERY system...only a small fraction of them....you will have that with EVERY software update...you can beta test it all day long...will be the same until thousands of users try it...

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sure as it is now, with that automatic update box there waiting for unsuspecting people to check, he's living on the edge if people are actually emailing him with game-ending bugs on the regular.

wishing and debating here is useless
That is a slap in the face to the people who run this forum. I'm telling a moderator you said that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure as it is now, with that automatic update box there waiting for unsuspecting people to check, he's living on the edge if people are actually emailing him with game-ending bugs on the regular.
Unlikely...the issues affect a small portion of users.....you a making the incorrect assumption that if 5 users complain of an issue here, everyone has it...

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still not getting any picture push notifications, but happy about more clip movement details.
I'm pretty sure this is a bug in the iOS app and not the server. The iOS app doesn't even attempt to connect to the server to grab the image.