45ms delay between PTZ input and camera movement, is this normal?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just as the title says, there's (to me) a disgusting amount of lag between the PTZ command and the actual movement of the camera (not the video feed).

Whether the input is from my network keyboard, or within the camera interface itself, the delay is aroun 46 ms. It's quite difficult to quickly track targets and get from point to point with that sort of delay.

I'm not expecting CS:GO like latency here, but is there anyway to shave this down to a sub 10ms? Surely the delay is within the camera itself right?

I have the Sunba P636 V2.

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some models are more problematic than others - wifi PTZs are horrible in that regard as an example.

My Sunba has the slowest response time of my PTZs.

If the camera is going thru the router ir can be an issue.

If the camera was setup thru P2P to their servers it can create a lag.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At 30fps the video feed updates every ~33msec. Most folks are running security cameras at 15fps or lower, which means at least 66msec between frames. This could get in the way of a 10msec ptz control link having the same feel as 10msec on csgo. Also for reference, pro freestyle and racing drone pilots do their thing at >15msec.

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some models are more problematic than others - wifi PTZs are horrible in that regard as an example.

My Sunba has the slowest response time of my PTZs.

If the camera is going thru the router ir can be an issue.

If the camera was setup thru P2P to their servers it can create a lag.

Everything goes through my asus router but no p2p. I guess I'm just kind of screwed then huh?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, going thru the router can cause a delay. You could try temporarily disconnecting and seeing if the speed improves, but my Sunba is not going thru the router and it lags at least that (I haven't timed it LOL), but it is trial and error to get it to the spot I want.