4G LTE setup

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've made several versions of these over the years and they all work flawlessly.

g2gOxgk.jpg

Basically what's compressed in the box:

WiFi Router
4G LTE Modem
PoE Injectors (2)
12V-->5V adapter
256GB USB stick
Windows 10 Pro server running Blue Iris and dial-in software (3 entry/failover modes)

The little dome cam next to the box can be placed elsewhere or latched onto the top or side for another angle. (optional)

Result is a low power remote solution that works in -30F to 110F and allows you to view real-time stream over 3G/4G

It runs off of 120AC or 12DC. Simply pull out what plug you want from the side and away you go!

I have them FTP keep-alive photos every 15-30 minutes which get stored on my server in an interactive gallery.

Off-site alert storage works well and none of mine consume more than 2GB/mo max.

...Basically I kicked OxBlue in the nads and did it under $500 HW/SW costs.

Whatupppp

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
gmaster1,

Pretty slick. And much more compact than the OxBlue monster!

I'm curious about a few details.
- Is the WiFi Router to provide WiFi coverage to the site, so folks can reach the internet? Or is it for a WiFi-as-WAN connection for your system?
- You mention 3 entry/failover modes. Is that 1) wired enet 2) cellular and 3) WiFi?
- Only 2GB/mo data usage is impressive, but upon closer reading, that might only be for Alert storage (not pics every 15 to 30 minutes). And 2GB/mo also doesn't include much real-time viewing over cellular. The monthly data plan cost is a significant, after the cash outlay to buy the hardware.
--- I guess my question is: What is your customer's data usage if the system is only connected via 3G/4G?
- Are you happy with the 4G LTE modem you chose? A 3G/4G Cradlepoint modem w/ 3 entry/failover capability is ~ $600. Cradlepoint is very dependable and robust, hence the premium price. How has your cellular modem fared? (for you cellular only installations)

Looks like a great self-contained and compact solution!

Thanks!
Fastb

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
gmaster1,

Pretty slick. And much more compact than the OxBlue monster!

I'm curious about a few details.
- Is the WiFi Router to provide WiFi coverage to the site, so folks can reach the internet? Or is it for a WiFi-as-WAN connection for your system?
WiFi is for expansion -- In other words, the system allows you to connect additional IP cams that may use wireless. Wired is also an option, but yeah the WiFi is only enabled for cam connectivity outside the box. It's also handy if I need to fine tune something locally I can just whip out a laptop/tablet and connect to it.

- You mention 3 entry/failover modes. Is that 1) wired enet 2) cellular and 3) WiFi?
Three separate VPN methods -- two are on boot and one triggers if they both fail. 4G rarely ever fails, but sometimes a VPN service may so it's nice to have multiple options. Keepalives are set low to avoid data overhead.

- Only 2GB/mo data usage is impressive, but upon closer reading, that might only be for Alert storage (not pics every 15 to 30 minutes). And 2GB/mo also doesn't include much real-time viewing over cellular. The monthly data plan cost is a significant, after the cash outlay to buy the hardware.
2GB/mo for everything. Tuning this setup properly is the difference between spending an arm and a leg and knowing and accounting for every byte (not kilobyte) so that you can scale accordingly. When I started this years ago I purposefully limited my test account to 1GB a month and was still able to do 30min FTP, off-site alerts w/ video, and live-view in under 800MB/mo. I increased my budget to get the off-site FTP and alerts to a more practical 1080p format as opposed to 720p. I've only ever had one of these go over 2GB and that was in the early days of testing. A VPN service I was evaluating ran its mouth off and hit me by an extra 500MB... 2GB/mo certainly does include real-time viewing over 4G.

--- I guess my question is: What is your customer's data usage if the system is only connected via 3G/4G?
- Are you happy with the 4G LTE modem you chose? A 3G/4G Cradlepoint modem w/ 3 entry/failover capability is ~ $600. Cradlepoint is very dependable and robust, hence the premium price. How has your cellular modem fared? (for you cellular only installations)
I'm not a fan of Cradlepoint when others exist for 1/8th the price and double the features now. My 4G modems/routers are $25 and if I ever have one crap out on me I'll let you know. So far I've put these things through some really horrible conditions and nothing has phased 'em. I love "enterprise grade hardware" as much as the next guy, but recently I've been getting migraines hearing people justify the premiums. It's 2016 and 90% of you use IP Cams that you wouldn't have touched 10 years ago for commercial use. I'm not willing to sacrifice brand/quality in some areas and those almost always include power/poe/etc components because I've been burned [not literally]...[okay, literally] too many times.

Looks like a great self-contained and compact solution!
:) Thanks good sir!

Thanks!
Fastb
(answered in reply)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
few mobile providers give you a routable IP, most are behind a commercial NAT..

would have to establish an outbound VPN Tunnel, and would take some data to maintain it.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most 3G/4G modems/routers have port forwarding options, however they do not work. Not sure why they keep adding that feature in the firmware, but maybe it's for the possibility of a commercial static IP that is WAN accessible.... (Last time I checked, Verizon wanted like $500 for a static IP). Remember that the IP address your cell device gets is not the final route before it hits the outside. Carriers do this to protect your data usage. There are a number of VPN tunnel solutions -- all depends what you need or what you are comfortable with. Estimate between 100-450MB/mo of data usage for that. Some options are chattier than others.