4K Camera Only Works at 1080p

Budai

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm brand new to camera systems and BI but I've been gradually learning and building up my components.

I recently got a 4k Amcrest IP8M-2496EB and added it to BI no problem. I was able to view and record at 4k/15fps with no issues. I went through the BI optimization page here and saw that I should turn on Intel hardware acceleration to reduce CPU usage. I turned it on for this camera and have been getting no signal from it ever since. The weird thing is it still works if I change the resolution to 1080p but no other higher resolution.

I've tried restarting the camera, re-adding it, even factory resetting it. Nothing works. It streams to the Amcrest app at 4k but not BI.

Hardware acceleration worked fine with 2 Amcrest IP2M-841 cameras. I have an i5-2500k CPU.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm brand new to camera systems and BI but I've been gradually learning and building up my components.

I recently got a 4k Amcrest IP8M-2496EB and added it to BI no problem. I was able to view and record at 4k/15fps with no issues. I went through the BI optimization page here and saw that I should turn on Intel hardware acceleration to reduce CPU usage. I turned it on for this camera and have been getting no signal from it ever since. The weird thing is it still works if I change the resolution to 1080p but no other higher resolution.

I've tried restarting the camera, re-adding it, even factory resetting it. Nothing works. It streams to the Amcrest app at 4k but not BI.

Hardware acceleration worked fine with 2 Amcrest IP2M-841 cameras. I have an i5-2500k CPU.

Can anyone help me figure this out?
This is because the hardware acceleration on the intel second gen is limited to 1080p. Disable hardware acceleration for this camera only.

Budai

n3wb
Reaction score
This is because the hardware acceleration on the intel second gen is limited to 1080p. Disable hardware acceleration for this camera only.
Thank you! That did it. I was leaving it on "Default" which worked fine previously before trying to turn on hardware acceleration. I switched it to "No" and it works now, albeit with higher CPU usage.

Looks like I'll be needing to upgrade my CPU sooner than planned since I was going to add a few more 4k cameras; not sure if this CPU will be and to handle it. Maybe I'll overclock it for the time being and see how it handles.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s something I didn’t know so thanks. Is there a table to show the max resolutions for each of the cpu families? Did a google but that just comes up with max screen resolution supported.