4k Camera to BlueIris on computer with only 1080p

clinefsu

n3wb
Reaction score
I am upgrading my pathetic Samsung locked down cameras to some nice POE Onvif compatible IP cams. I am testing out both 4k and 5mp models. I have Blue Iris running on a decent workstation but it has an older video card and 1080p monitor. So far I have not been able to get the 4k stream from the 4k camera to play. Is this because the workstation can't support the resolution? I would have thought it would just downscale the video and display the higher resolution stream in a lower quality format. My hope was that I could view in 5mp and record motion clips in 4k in case something major was captured. This way I would have a high resolution file to give to the cops. I have no real plans of upgrading the workstation. So should I just stick with the 5mp cameras????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am upgrading my pathetic Samsung locked down cameras to some nice POE Onvif compatible IP cams. I am testing out both 4k and 5mp models. I have Blue Iris running on a decent workstation but it has an older video card and 1080p monitor. So far I have not been able to get the 4k stream from the 4k camera to play. Is this because the workstation can't support the resolution? I would have thought it would just downscale the video and display the higher resolution stream in a lower quality format. My hope was that I could view in 5mp and record motion clips in 4k in case something major was captured. This way I would have a high resolution file to give to the cops. I have no real plans of upgrading the workstation. So should I just stick with the 5mp cameras????
It has nothing to do with the pc or monitor. What do you mean by cant get it to play? if the 1080p stream works in BI and but the 4k does not its likely that you need to disable hardware acceleration in BI.
Also see the substream feature explanation in the wiki
On a side note a cheap efficient system for bi will run you 100-150 and easily pay for itself in energy savings.
See threads on 4mp low light dahua/hik cameras with great night vision. If you buy crappy 4k cameras with small sensors your night images will suffer.