4mm vs 6mm

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need help trying to decide if I want to install 4mm or 6mm 4MP cameras to cover my driveway. I currently have a TOP201 that has survived the elements for 2 years, but I would like better now.

My driveway is 21ft wide by 30 ft long, with 2 cars parked in it each night. One side of the driveway is a fence, and the other side is a small side yard. We pull in from the alleyway,

Thoughts? I don't think I can get the job done with only one 2.8mm 2.1MP camera I already have...I'll just put it in the garage to give it a home.

Pic is attached. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with two cameras to cover most driveways with 2 vehicles. See my examples below. If you mount at about 7ft you will get a decent FOV beyond the cars. I would go with 4mm, or better, vari-focus cameras. 6mm may be a bit much.

Of course light is key, I keep the coach light on with 1250 lumen LED's and the street light helps a lot. I do keep one cam in B&W/Auto mode and one in color..Starlight VF bullets

(Dont forget to change YT player to 1080p)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't see your pic but one possibility is a variable focus cam so you can dial it in to the exact setting you need.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. What are the current recommendations for 4mm cameras with Varifocal lenses? I can order from LTS or Cantonk for Hik clones, and I’m not opposed to ordering from China via proven IPCAMTALK vendors.

Also, what are Coach Lights?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
With Vari-focal lens, you typically get 2.8mm-12mm or so, no need to specify a fixed lens. Gives you more flexibility.

I would recommend the Dahua camera above also or similar HIK low light cameras.

Coach lights = exterior lights mounted on the building/garage

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need help trying to decide if I want to install 4mm or 6mm 4MP cameras to cover my driveway. I currently have a TOP201 that has survived the elements for 2 years, but I would like better now.

My driveway is 21ft wide by 30 ft long, with 2 cars parked in it each night. One side of the driveway is a fence, and the other side is a small side yard. We pull in from the alleyway,

Thoughts? I don't think I can get the job done with only one 2.8mm 2.1MP camera I already have...I'll just put it in the garage to give it a home.

Pic is attached. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Optimus Prime,

I HIGHLY recommend the Dahua starlight series for your night time needs. Do take a look at my notes ( looking for some advice .. ) as I have links to some great night time images they produce.

Also, 100% agree with you about using multiple cameras. Definitely plan for at least 2 cameras there.

In fact I would be tempted to place a 3rd, even a 4th camera to capture licence plates in the alley way.

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw on EMpire's site that he has a 2MP and a 4MP version. Is the current opinion still that the 2MP is a better camera?

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ordered 2 for the driveway. Now I need to learn about drilling holes in my house and mounting them properly.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just ordered 2 for the driveway. Now I need to learn about drilling holes in my house and mounting them properly.
FYI - I really like to use the junction boxes and mounts when I can not easily stuff the wiring connections back into the walls / soffit

Look up PFA137 and PFB203W