4MP Hikvision camera issues with blurry images and artifacts mainly at night.

mchlpeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having problems with my new Hikvision camera especially at night. Static images seem to be fine but any movement and all i get is blurry pictures and artifacts. I have uploaded a small clip to youtube to show you what I mean.

I have used factory settings for this clip and recorded it directly from the camera to the laptop.
It doesnt make a difference if its throught the NVR or laptop it was just easiar for me to upload to youtube.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Camera: DS-2CD2142FWD-I(W)(S)

NVR: DS-7608NI-E2

mchlpeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, Its a new build estate built in 2013. We have had a lot of car theft and garage break ins though, hence the CCTV.

Thanks for the links ill take a look.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What is your shutter speed? Post your image configuration.

mchlpeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Shutter Speed: 1/25

Gain: 100

I have changed a few settings since the video. I will only see if they have improved the image tonight.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Too much DNR and gain will certainly give you adverse results but in general don't expect much from this cam at night outdoors. I had the same exact cams last summer and got rid of them due to awful night image, although in your setting you have much more light then I do.

mchlpeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok,

I have changed I frame interval to 10 as my FPS is 20

I will attempt to lower the gain and Noise reduction as much as possible.

Any idea what my bitrate should be. In terms of bandwidth I only have 1 camera and my NVR is capable of 80MbPs. Should i just crank it up to 16000?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Using max bit rate will certainly give you the best image in general but not always needed. Doesn't hurt to try it out if your Nvr can handle. In my e2 I couldn't get smooth recording with 5 MP cam and more then 10k bit rate at 30 fps.

mchlpeel

n3wb
Reaction score
Im running Firmware version 5.3.8 Build 151224 on the camera.

Is this the latest?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
blurring or ghosting (they are different things) can be caused by slow shutter speed, high gain, high DNR, high DWDR and smoothing settings. Turn them all off and start increasing each one at a time. Unfortunately these cameras cannot produce a crystal clear moving image with IR. Try day settings and possibly add extra lighting (although I understand it must be difficult at the estate).

mchlpeel

n3wb
Reaction score
So running the camera now with the setting suggested. All seems to be a lot better.

Bitrate: 16000

DNR: 20

Shutter 1/25

I frame interval: 10 (running at 20FPS)

Gain:100

With these settings im getting no ghosting and only a little bit of noise. Should be clear enough to pull a face from the footage.

Thanks all for the help

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Try setting max exposure speed to 1/50th if it doesn't cause too much grain. You'll notice a big improvement in blur reduction on targets that're moving even a bit. Add more white light if you can or an external IR floodlight if the image is too grainy at 1/50th. With that lens you'll need a wide angle illuminator or possibly two for more even coverage.

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I was only one with this exact issue on my DS-2CD2142FWD !!!

Will be giving these settings a try and see how I get on with it...

mchlpeel - it has been 4 weeks since you've used the new settings - how are you getting on with it so far?

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try firmware version 5.4.0.
It has expert mode DNR which will eliminate artifacts during night mode

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have similar issues with my DS-2CD2042WD-I so will give it a go today.

I have 5x DS-2CD2042WD-I connected to my DS-7616NI-E2 /8P/A with every camera setting being the same (please see attached).

What would you recommend?

Shall I stop using H.264+ and perhaps reduce frame rate and bit rate?

What exactly is the "I Frame Interval" for?

HikVision.png

Last edited by a moderator:

andyblac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have similar issues with my DS-2CD2042WD-I so will give it a go today.

I have 5x DS-2CD2042WD-I connected to my DS-7616NI-E2 /8P/A with every camera setting being the same (please see attached).

What would you recommend?

Shall I stop using H.264+ and perhaps reduce frame rate and bit rate?

What exactly is the "I Frame Interval" for?

View attachment 10977

I frame is the full picture, the other frame just hold the bits that have changes since the last frame, so the more I FRAMES the better, but it does use more storage as is like a full frame MPEG screen.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
blurring or ghosting (they are different things) can be caused by slow shutter speed, high gain, high DNR, high DWDR and smoothing settings. Turn them all off and start increasing each one at a time. Unfortunately these cameras cannot produce a crystal clear moving image with IR. Try day settings and possibly add extra lighting (although I understand it must be difficult at the estate).
Thanks. I turned the digital noise reduction way down and moving video looks much better.

I have a couple 3MP cameras and just used the same basic settings I had one those (where DNR was at 100). They have zero ghosting but these were terrible.

Reaction score
Holiday Greetings, all.

I've been reading this and similar threads regarding IR noise / ghosting, etc., trying to get smarter. I'm dealing with IR artifact issues with two Hik cameras - a 4 MP and a 3 MP - at a remote model airplane club field in southern Maryland where we've had theft / vandalism issues. Both Hiks exhibit the same type of artifacts (see the attached). Another camera on site, an Amcrest, does not. The problem occurs only at night with rain, fog and/or wind. I've reduced impact of the issue (i.e., false alarm MMS messages in the middle of the night) by experimenting with various settings gleaned from posts in this forum. The cameras are currently set to 15 FPS, I frame interval 15, DNR 20, and shadow cancellation on. I've adjusted the min object size / contrast settings in the BI motion sensor, and established motion zones for the night-time profile. I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer additional suggestions. The next iteration will be to try B&W mode at night, and then further reduce the night-time motion zones.

Cheers
Cam3pavilion20171223.jpg