4Mp v 2Mp Question

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does a Hik 4Mp camera give twice as much zoom than a Hik 2Mp camera on a 1080p monitor before the picture starts to blur?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does a Hik 4Mp camera give twice as much zoom than a Hik 2Mp camera on a 1080p monitor before the picture starts to blur?
no not even close to twice as much

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very confusing. Seems i have been informing people wrongly advising that the more megapixels the more the image can be zoomed in without losing picture quality.

Anyone have any more information on this? What benefit does a 4Mp have over a 2Mp? Is it the same for Dahua cameras?

Thank you.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think that the amount of zoom without losing quality would be the square root of the ratio of the pixel counts. To achieve a no quality loss 2x zoom, you need twice as many pixels in both the horizontal and vertical directions, or 4 times as many pixels. Comparing a 4 MP camera to a 2 MP camera, the ratio of the pixel count is 2, so the maximum zoom with no quality loss would be the square root of 2, approximately 1.4. In general the benefit of a 4 MP camera over 2 MP is a clearer daytime image at the expense of a poorer night image and increased storage space. As with many other things, if money is no object you can spend a lot of it on a high megapixel camera with a big sensor that will give decent night sensitivity.

Last edited:

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would think that the amount of zoom without losing quality would be the square root of the ratio of the pixel counts. To achieve a no quality loss 2x zoom, you need twice as many pixels in both the horizontal and vertical directions, or 4 times as many pixels. Comparing a 4 MP camera to a 2 MP camera, the ratio of the pixel count is 2, so the maximum zoom with no quality loss would be the square root of 2, approximately 1.4. In general the benefit of a 4 MP camera over 2 MP is a clearer daytime image at the expense of a poorer night image and increased storage space. As with many other things, if money is no object you can spend a lot of it on a high megapixel camera with a big sensor that will give decent night sensitivity.
Excellent post :)

Reaction score

Found that out going from the 2mp version of this to 4mp
Sure better daytime video on a 2k high end monitor. But night time quality suffered some. I turned off the sub stream and that improved nighttime quality but imo its a tad duller than the 2mp version was. I only got to play with it for a day or two before they replaced the burned out street light with a new LED bulb. So got a little more street light now too. Ultimately though because of the bad timing and changes of the landscape this post doesnt mean too much. However, I know in a year or two I might get the bug to look for an upgrade. Kinda dread going to a larger camera though. cheers.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Would this comparison be with the same size sensor?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
... However, I know in a year or two I might get the bug to look for an upgrade. Kinda dread going to a larger camera though. cheers.
You'll just need to move to a cam with a larger sensor and better signal processing when you do. Then you'll end up better. e.g., the 4MP 5442 series cams with a 1/1.8 sensor will look much better at in low light than the old 2MP.

Burbsi

n3wb
Reaction score
i'm comparing older Box cameras online and noticed that a model with 2MP, 4Mp and 8MP all have a max. bitrate of 16Megabit/s while all use a 1/1.8" sensor. (I'm talking about 2CD7026G0, 2CD7046G0 and 2CD7086G0)
I don't understand the benefit of a higher resolution when the bitrate keeps being the same. We're talking 2Megabytes per second, which should be totally fine for 1080p but the same for 4K i am questioning the benefit.

Does anyone have experience with that?
I know lowlight performance decreases with higher pixel counts so there's another reason that higher MP products don't give you that much more quality.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i'm comparing older Box cameras online and noticed that a model with 2MP, 4Mp and 8MP all have a max. bitrate of 16Megabit/s while all use a 1/1.8" sensor. (I'm talking about 2CD7026G0, 2CD7046G0 and 2CD7086G0)
I don't understand the benefit of a higher resolution when the bitrate keeps being the same. We're talking 2Megabytes per second, which should be totally fine for 1080p but the same for 4K i am questioning the benefit.

Does anyone have experience with that?
I know lowlight performance decreases with higher pixel counts so there's another reason that higher MP products don't give you that much more quality.
The only benefit is to the naive consumer that is chasing MP over quality at night.

During the day there will somewhat of an advantage of the higher MP.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

So for the same size sensor, the lower MP will provide the advantage at night.