wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two instances of Blue Iris running in two locations. Both running 5.4.9.18....

One of them has one camera and runs fine. The other one has maybe 8 cameras and I notice the memory usage creeps up over time. It is a 32 GB machine and BI will take up 85% of the usage.

I haven't changed the version or the OS in a while. This is sudden.

I have both set to use sub-streams. Though I do enable hardware decoding. I am trying to figure how to approach this problem. A reboot brings memory usage to under 1 GB.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is absolutely true. Read it and confirm your driver version.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
On my 6th gen CPU I run a much newer version of the intel video driver and haven’t noticed a problem.

I’ll try and grab the actual version and post back.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using a Xeon E3-1245 which has SandyBridge graphics. My driver was 20x something or other. I thought I had brought this into spec a while back and shut off updates some time ago. My recollection is hazy.

It ran overnight with the intel decoding off (I now use substreams). Eventually I am going to move BI back to a VM so I am going to just leave this option off.

Thanks guys.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't run intel decoding either on systems where it has started causing too much trouble. The added instability plus the fact it turns itself off at random for certain cameras, is just not worth it when sub streams cut down CPU usage so much more effectively.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so I turned off Intel decoding and I came back from a weekend trip and Blue Iris had creeped up to using 20 GB of memory. I verified all of the cameras were using the default video decoder and that one was None.

I went through and I made all the cameras use no decoder individually. I am not using an AI but I do have deepstack installed.

I upgraded to 5.5.1.12. At this point, I want to just make sure it isn't some version issue with maybe the iphone app.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Had you made sure the blueiris.exe process got restarted after turning off Intel decoding globally? It is not strictly necessary to restart Blue Iris -- that is just a quick way to make all the cameras individually restart which is what actually makes the new hardware acceleration choice take effect. When you change an individual camera's settings and click OK, that restarts the camera too. But when you change the setting globally, it does not restart the cameras automatically.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Had you made sure the blueiris.exe process got restarted after turning off Intel decoding globally? It is not strictly necessary to restart Blue Iris -- that is just a quick way to make all the cameras individually restart which is what actually makes the new hardware acceleration choice take effect. When you change an individual camera's settings and click OK, that restarts the camera too. But when you change the setting globally, it does not restart the cameras automatically.
Yes. I shut off Blue Iris service and restarted it and/or rebooted the machine