5 G Has Caught Up With Me

Sampson48

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DSC 1616 Powerseries that has hard wired motion doctors, But with 5 G I need a cellular bridge so the security company can continue to monitor my home. I'd like to do the upgrade myself but don't know where to start. Any recommendations on an up grade for the key pad? Current is DSC. that chimes when a door is opened. Would rather have a voice than chimes. Current six zones are enough. What parts are needed and where do I buy them?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If no response from your post, consider trying ==>> Better Business Bureau

The above link is from a search using the category "security alarm" and "BBB Accredited Only". There are 40 listed that are not too far from you.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a DSC 1616 Powerseries that has hard wired motion doctors, But with 5 G I need a cellular bridge so the security company can continue to monitor my home. I'd like to do the upgrade myself but don't know where to start. Any recommendations on an up grade for the key pad? Current is DSC. that chimes when a door is opened. Would rather have a voice than chimes. Current six zones are enough. What parts are needed and where do I buy them?
Who is your current alarm company? How is it currently monitored (Phone line, IP, Cell)? What did the alarm company say you needed? Are you currently under a monitoring contract? If it's currently being monitored by a 3G/4G cellular communicator it will need to be upgraded to LTE communicator. There is no such thing as a 5G alarm communicator at this time. They only sell LTE communicators. The communicator usually is a white box mounted near your main control panel. The alarm system you have is fine and you shouldn't have to make any changes to it besides swapping out the alarm communicator.

If you're not in contract with your alarm company I suggest you look at DIY alarm companies like AlarmGrid.

You would need a module like this- Alarm.com ADC-SEM210-PS-VZ - Verizon LTE Dual-Path Communicator for DSC PowerSeries

In order for it to work the firmware version on your panel needs to be version 4.2 or above.

Last edited:

Sampson48

n3wb
Reaction score
Who is your current alarm company? How is it currently monitored (Phone line, IP, Cell)? What did the alarm company say you needed? Are you currently under a monitoring contract? If it's currently being monitored by a 3G/4G cellular communicator it will need to be upgraded to LTE communicator. There is no such thing as a 5G alarm communicator at this time. They only sell LTE communicators. The communicator usually is a white box mounted near your main control panel. The alarm system you have is fine and you shouldn't have to make any changes to it besides swapping out the alarm communicator.

If you're not in contract with your alarm company I suggest you look at DIY alarm companies like AlarmGrid.

You would need a module like this- Alarm.com ADC-SEM210-PS-VZ - Verizon LTE Dual-Path Communicator for DSC PowerSeries

In order for it to work the firmware version on your panel needs to be version 4.2 or above.
Good morning. My current alarm company is a local Kansas City outfit. Up until this month it was monitored by phone line. They say I need a cellular bridge/LTE communicator. I'm not under contract. Thanks for your input!

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
there are no DSC keypads with voice. I would rethink that plan. it gets old after awhile. I am used to the quick beeps from my keypad when a door opens.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4G LTE alarm band is the alarm standard.

There is no 5G commercial alarm band.
The 4G LTE band is separate from consumer cell phones and has a lower rate plans because its traffic is alarm check ins and updates and runs on a separate frequency band and I have found places where there is no 4GLTE on a consumer phone, but the alarm system has all bars.
BTW, 5G is the 3G band with more data compression. And the sunset for 4gLTE is 2050. So they are not going to down it any time soon.
Beyond that 5G doesn't make sense in the first place since all of the mobile devices can't utilize the bandwidth of 4G much less 5G But I can see it being an alternative for rural internet. But its going to suffer the same range issues 3G has because of frequency.

Voice on alarm pads are more of a passing thing that hasn't cached on.