5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
@pozzello, @rcirz. Can you please reset camera and reload firmware. Then post image comparison using DEFAULT settings. The only thing I would bump up is the bitrate.

Btw, Amanda's response to my email, after it was forwarded by Eddy:

We've upgraded the program,and many cleints think it's better.To slove the problem of lower image quality,can we have the image renderings,the model number and current procedures?
So that we can make a better solution for you.And now you can try to restore factory settings to see if anything better.
Thanks,any questions welcome to contact me.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
did you post the new firmware someplace? or I should go find it at herospeed? thanx.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm. that's the version both my cams have already.

lemme get this straight: Image quality is bad because I deviated from factory settings,
even tho the reason I had to deviate from factory settings is because image quality was bad.

This can't end well...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
hm. that's the version both my cams have already.

lemme get this straight: Image quality is bad because I deviated from factory settings,
even tho the reason I had to deviate from factory settings is because image quality was bad.

This can't end well...
Let me get this straight: the image quality could be bad for two reasons here, the camera that was shipped to you either (a)someone already messed with the image settings at the factory (b)something has changed with the sensor. At the very least we are trying to determine if we can resolve the the issue by attempting to reload firmware. All I am trying is to help you out here, of course if you are not interested in attempting to find the root cause then I can't help here.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I appreciate your help and will give it a try. I too am curious to understand why my cams don't seem to perform like they've been played up to...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have sent my feedback about problematic image tab to Amanda, I should've probably done this months ago because it was one of the first things I noticed, but I admit, I was lazy... and well there was a workaround to run everything default.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I cracked one open yesterday to adjust the focus. It did sharpen the daytime image somewhat, producing more like what I'd
expect from a 5mp cam, detail-wise. However, once it got dark, the re-focused cam was LESS focused than the one I didn't adjust.
So perhaps the optics are not very well done and the factory focus is an attempt at a compromise between night and day with variations
from cam to cam (eg, yours might be perfect at night, but not so great for daytime, or vice-versa.)

On the plus side, the sensor chip was labelled imx178, so it's not a matter of bait-n-switch there.

As for the "problematic image tab", one thing i noticed is that changing AE mode on the left from auto to manual
(or back) appears to disable the WDR setting on the right. This can be confusing, as the settings on the left
require no 'save' action (take place automatically), while the right side does (via OK button), yet the WDR
setting gets changed without hitting save and without being reflected in the UI when you toggle the AE mode.
Once i figured that out, I can keep the image consistant as I fiddle around by resetting the WDR where i need it and hitting 'OK'.
(just hittign 'ok' doesn't do it, one must select some different WDR setting first, apply it, then reselect the
previously-showing desired setting and re-apply)

I suspect this behavior is at least part of the cause of image setting issues with these cams.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Probably not a good QA with lens focus. I have 3 cams from Longse. IMX178 cam had no issue day/night, IMX124 I received had bad focus which I adjusted and it works fine in day/night as well and then VF IMX322 cam I have has slight focus issue in the center when zoomed out all the way at night, but the cam can be manually focused via web ui.

Have you reloaded firmware after resetting?

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like to mount this camera near my attic outside. The wire would go inside to my non insulated attic - the temp probably gets around 120F or more inside the attic area. The POE wire would be inside the attic area - is that OK or to much heat?

Can this be mounted flat against a wall - similar to a bullet camera mount?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Difficult to say, but you can always get external active poe splitter for $12 vs getting on wire poe or if it fails in the heat.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I received new firmware with "new interface" perhaps it has fixes to image controls as well. I will let you know after I try it out.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
fwiw, i did a factory reset and then reloaded firmware on one of my S500's yesterday evening.
changed only the frame and bit rates in the UI (to 10fps and CBR 6144kbps)

Image Quality is pretty much the same. My other cam (with my adjustments in image config pane)
still has better color rendition, more 'real' picture and less artifacting on motion.

I attribute the positive differences to my config changes:
- manual white balance settings for better colors
- reduced sharpness for less 'fakeness'
- WDR on 'medium' for better visibility into light/dark areas
- manual setting for both DNR, set very low, to reduce artifacting on motion, ( which is very prevalent at factory settings.)

The big kicker for me with these things is the need to keep 'AE mode' setting on automatic.
Manually setting an exposure (like 1/75 or faster, to reduce motion blur) locks it there
rather than treating the setting as a maximum, like most other cams do. That's just bad programming
and makes these not useful for meaningful surveillance of activity (read "motion",) especially at night.

Note, there is an 'iris' setting in the UI, but it's greyed out and can't be changed, that I can tell.
If that could be unlocked (allowing digital equivalent of dynamic iris with manual/max exposure setting),
there might be some hope.

Or maybe the new firmware provides some other configuration options that allow these things to
get decent shots of anything other than still scenes...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Note AE mode manual issue I've complained to Longse from the day one it's in my first post as well. I hope new firmware addresses some of the issues.

From what I can tell you are making way too many changes which actually negatively affected the image quality for me. In my case using manual DNR and possibly WDR made things worse hence running at the default was the recommendation. I could not get the picture back to original setting because of that.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I disagree that 'making too many changes' leaves the image uncorrectably off. Yes, there's some goofiness in the interface,
as I outlined in a previous post, but that can be undone/corrected-for once I understand it, without a factory reset & FW reload.

I have two S500's in almost the same location, so I can compare IQ of my 'tuned' cam with the 'factory reset/reloaded' cam.
As I mentioned above, I do NOT see a better image from the factory-set cam. I prefer the image from my tuned cam.
I'm not making changes just to make changes. I'm making changes to correct the bad 'factory' image to better suit my needs,
and one of my needs is clear images of motion in any lighting, which is unattainable with the current firmware.

So I'm curious to hear about whatever they may have changed in the latest firmware... thanx.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Bottom line if S500 cam isn't amazing next to Hikvision 3MP/4MP at night then there is something wrong with it and I don't have that issue with mine as you can see from the samples.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You will find new interface quite familiar ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Attached is a new firmware. Upgrade at your own risk. Do not remove the old IPOCX until you upgraded the camera and downloaded new plugin. The UI is welcome upgrade. I will have to play more with it to see if they addressed any of the image control issues, but I didn't notice any major changes besides completely new layout and tri streaming option and some minor option changes.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Attached is a new firmware. Upgrade at your own risk. Do not remove the old IPOCX until you upgraded the camera and downloaded new plugin. The UI is welcome upgrade. I will have to play more with it to see if they addressed any of the image control issues, but I didn't notice any major changes besides completely new layout and tri streaming option and some minor option changes.
There is no attachment Klasipca. Where is the attachment?