5231 night settings

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I live in a remote area, no street lights etc., so night time is DARK. I've been trying different things and I keep coming back to the default settings for the best night quality. Are other 5231 users doing the same in my situation? Thanks!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're relying completely on the camera IR? Yes frequently the base settings are pretty good. Test with motion, dont rely on a still shot. Any motion blur? May play with a faster exposure..Walk through the camera view and post a sample clip here. Sometimes adding external IR or white light is needed depending on what you're trying to do/see.

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, yes only the onboard IR. Motion looks pretty good considering. I've tried 1/60 with not much difference. 1/120 was a bit too dark.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I live in a remote area, no street lights etc., so night time is DARK. I've been trying different things and I keep coming back to the default settings for the best night quality. Are other 5231 users doing the same in my situation? Thanks!
I have a couple of the Cmvision IR200 which are very high output, and very directional, but you can add a makeshift diffuser to spread out the light. Something like a couple layers of opaque shower curtain from the dollar store ought to work. If you need a lot of IR and possibly long range, it would be one to consider.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of the Cmvision IR200 which are very high output, and very directional, but you can add a makeshift diffuser to spread out the light. Something like a couple layers of opaque shower curtain from the dollar store ought to work. If you need a lot of IR and possibly long range, it would be one to consider.
can you advise on what you mean by using a shower curtain? do you have an image of the set up ?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wrap a shower curtain or other plastic material over the face of the light. This will diffuse the directional light, changing it from a spot to a flood.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wrap a shower curtain or other plastic material over the face of the light. This will diffuse the directional light, changing it from a spot to a flood.
Thanks