5231R-ZE appears to have died - any troubleshooting tips?

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
i have an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that has been running without issue under an awning for 13 months until about a week ago when it simply stopped. I checked the wire for continuity (no problems) and tried another POE switch and wire just to be sure - all seems ok but the camera does not power on. (E.g., two switches show nothing connected, nothing visible on the network, and the normally very warm running 5231 is ice cold.)

Does anyone know any tricks to try with this model? Any way to reset it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE that has been running without issue under an awning for 13 months until about a week ago when it simply stopped. I checked the wire for continuity (no problems) and tried another POE switch and wire just to be sure - all seems ok but the camera does not power on. (E.g., two switches show nothing connected, nothing visible on the network, and the normally very warm running 5231 is ice cold.)

Does anyone know any tricks to try with this model? Any way to reset it?
You will need to take the camera down and test with a short premade cable. The number one reason for camera failure is improper installation resulting in moisture entering the ethernet connection.

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, tried that, unfortunately with no change. The original cable was connected using the weather resistant housing on the camera side and included boot and gasket added to the connection cable side, and regardless connected in a dry area above the camera, so I don’t think moisture was an issue. I opened the camera (to remove the micro SD card) and it still looks brand new and dry inside - very strange.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the actual network connector on the camera side, see if any of the pins are tarnished or burnt.

The other thing that might be worth trying is to power the cam using the external power jack to see it behaves any differently.

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
Pins look good (brand new like inside of camera) - I’ll try the power jack to see if any difference in behavior

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
X2 for powering the camera via its 12 volt input to see if that works. There have been a few posts about the POE part of a camera having failed, with the camera still working normally using the DC input. A plus would be if you could measure if its pulling any current over the DC input.

Pocono Joe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I took the camera down and tested the cable.. It checked OK.. I then plugged the camera into the NVR with another short tested cable.. Still not working.. I tried other inputs that had working cameras in the and still not working.. I've had these cameras a little over a year.. Like I said the other 2 are working fine..

Joe