5241E-Z12E which setting would you change?

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't get a bunch of traffic down my street at night and I've been tweaking this camera for a bit now but just can't get it perfect. I am getting some "captures" at night. They all seem readable but deepstack isn't agreeing with that statement. (For the example attached Plate is center of the shot at 8 seconds). But the alerts are getting canceled.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Distance?
Angle seems tough. Can you show a daytime image?
Try turning off HLC, it makes things darker
Try Iris at 55-60
Personally Id set the image settings to 50 other than sharpness and work with other settings first

IR setting? Im not seeing much IR on that plate. You're reading it mostly because of the plate lights.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Distance?
Angle seems tough. Can you show a daytime image?
Try turning off HLC, it makes things darker
Try Iris at 55-60
Personally Id set the image settings to 50 other than sharpness and work with other settings first

IR setting? Im not seeing much IR on that plate. You're reading it mostly because of the plate lights.
[/QUOT
IR is on 100 for both. and i can see them in another cameras shot . The distance is right at 100 ft. This is zoomed out some. The road does curve some in that area adding to the angle.
1658060170390.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to zoom that in a lot.

Ideally the field of view should only be large enough to see one vehicle, not a wide angle like that.

Remember the only purpose for this camera is to read plates, not be an overview also.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to zoom that in a lot.

Ideally the field of view should only be large enough to see one vehicle, not a wide angle like that.

Remember the only purpose for this camera is to read plates, not be an overview also.
the example was zoomed out to show the angle. It is zoomed in normally. normal

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok.

I would turn the camera to the left to try to straighten the angle as much as you can. Ideally to the left of the street light or just to the right of it if your neighbors park cars in the driveway

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hello big red fish just curious what is the difference in the focus settings between your day and night modes. I am still trying to find tune the 2 focus settings between my day and night mode and I am approx 40 point difference between the 2 . I know I can't use your focus settings just curious if you have 2 different focus settings for day and night and if so what is the difference. thanks again

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hello big red fish just curious what is the difference in the focus settings between your day and night modes. I am still trying to find tune the 2 between my day and night mode and I am approx 40 point difference between the 2 . I know I can't use your settings just curious if you have 2 different for day and night and if so what is the difference. thanks again
In many instances the focus between visible and infrared light is different.

My one LPR camera is about 40 points different and the other one they are the same. It all comes down to each individual field of view.

Here is a great older post that goes into detail how the focus for daytime and nighttime can be different because of IR. For some they are the same, but for a lot of people, it is different:

Infrared focus shift - explanation

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the night could be improved some, but it might not be the focus.

Check out this great thread which documents how things like gamma and other camera parameters impact the focus.

I would start with having someone stop a car in the middle of your field of view at night and lock in a good focus for the non-moving car, then looking at your other parameters to crisp the image during motion.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly mine are setup old school. I set the daytime zoom and allow it to auto focus. Because I use the “schedule” profile, I have it change to B&W about 45 min before sundown, the camera still has plenty of light and auto focus takes care of the change.

Theres probably 16-20 ft of capture area in the scene with objects being slightly closer left to right due to the angle. Because I run 30fps I get more frames in which to snag the best image. So I tend to get the best night captures left of center using the first few frames, and daytime captures tend to be best with the last few frames more to the right of the scene.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @wittaj , I’d personally try a little more Iris, and make sure your IR is set to 100. Don’t know your distance? Additional external IR can make a huge difference out past 65-80 ft or so

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
thanks for the info I will mess around with the above settings

snova

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm considering this camera. I'd like to disable the onboard IR illuminator and use an external one to avoid insects being attracted to the lens. Can I force the in camera IR illuminator off?
Also, when an approaching vehicle has its headlights on, some cameras will switch to daytime mode. Can I force this camera to stay in IR sensor mode?
Can I lock the shutter speed at night? I find that 1/1000 sec gives me the right exposure for IR reflecting off license plates at night.
I've tried other cameras and they have let me down in these cases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I lose a few plates here and there when I let the camera Switch from day to night on a schedule and also on Day/Night profile. The focus can off get the mark in transition sometimes.....Therefore it stays on Night at 1/2000. The IR illumination is on Auto.
So that it will shut off during the day.
AssClowns generally drive thru in low light hours. And I hate missing their plates as predawn changes to sunrise.
Mine is so zoomed up that color won't do a helluva lotta good anyhow. I might catch a few frames where you can read the make or model. But not usually.

Last edited: