6510 camera firmware upgrade failed. Any recovery?

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I attempted to download the latest firmware to my 6510 based cam and appear to have bricked it. The firmware WAS V4.02R12.00006510.10012.1307 with a Build Date 7/3/2014. Following the instructions early in the very long thread "Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam" , I attempted to upgrade to "General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_V4.02.R12.201 50910_ALL.bin" and the progress bar froze halfway through. Bummer. I waited for an hour but no progress. After a refresh the camera is unavailable. I can see the link light for the port it is plugged into on the switch and it is slowly flashing on and off as if it cannot establish ethernet link. Sp of course it never gets an IP address. The camera was working fine up until the attempted upgrade. I knew this was a risk but am hoping someone has a recovery procedure. Any ideas?

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would try something like advanced ip scanner to see if it sees it. Or try ONvif device manager from sourceforge.
The late uberoverlord posted a reset tool in that long thread you mentioned.I believe you entered the ip address into that tool, so I would try the last ip address the camera used, then the default ip address, 192.168.1.10 I believe. Good luck

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I would try something like advanced ip scanner to see if it sees it. Or try ONvif device manager from sourceforge.
The late uberoverlord posted a reset tool in that long thread you mentioned.I believe you entered the ip address into that tool, so I would try the last ip address the camera used, then the default ip address, 192.168.1.10 I believe. Good luck
Thanks for the reply but I have already tried those. Since it won't connect to the network, I need a different set of options. I saw references to a serial connection but no one appears to have used it successfully. Hopefully someone has made progress with that recently or found another option.

rsoandrew

n3wb
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. In my case the firmware WAS V4.02R12.00006510.10010.1303 with a Build Date 10/23/2014. I attempted to upgrade to "General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_V4.02.R12.20150723_ALL.bin" thinking it might fix the problems I was having trying to get the camera to send emails. Brick. I did this back in August but am just getting around to trying to fix it today. I'm going to try the serial recovery instructions and see if I can get it back working. I was doing a search to see if anybody had any more recent tips and saw your thread.

rsoandrew

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to access the camera but only got gibberish. I tried different baud rates, switching the TX and RX lines and different software but could never communicate with the camera correctly. The serial recovery instructions were not the most clear. I'd recommend that if you try it, you get the cp2102 TTL adapter wire it up and use a simple program like Putty to see if you can communicate with the camera. After that you can worry about trying to get the transfer working. This camera is going into my spare parts box. It wasn't expensive enough to waste any more time on. Good luck.

Update: After all of that, I realized that I was messing with the wrong camera. There shouldn't have been any problem accessing the non-bricked camera. I was able to confirm the serial settings on the camera defaults to - 115200, 8,1,N. There is also a dropdown for 'Function' at the top of the page for these RS232 settings that has the following choices - none, GPS, general, transparent. 'none' is the default.

Last edited by a moderator:

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to be clear, did you get a non-bricked camera to work (no gibberish) using the serial connection? That would tell me that using the serial connection for recovering the firmware is not possible on a bricked camera based on your first post.

Thanks for the info!

rsoandrew

n3wb
Reaction score
No. I never tried the serial connection on the bricked camera.

I only tried the serial connection on the working camera (by mistake). I never got the serial connection to work on the working camera. With the cp2102 adapter connected to my computer and the serial ports on the working camera, I could get gibberish from the working camera whenever I powered it on.