7 Dahau cameras lost connectivity

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Strange behavior with 7 Dahau cameras where all of a sudden BI reported lost signal. Tried rebooting the POE switch and no change. It alsmot seems like the cameras lost their configuration, but for some strange reason when I reboot them I cannot get to their web configuration page either. Any ideas? They were working fine for 3 weeks straight without issue.

I have:

4x IPC-HDW5231R-Z
3x IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
All Running DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306.bin

Last edited:

sleetdawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anything else on the switch and did they have issues?

Have you tried putting any other devices on the switch and see if they can communicate with the BI server or the cameras?

How did you attempt to connect to the cameras admin pages?

If all 7 went out at the same time I would be looking at the switch or something with the link to the BI system as the most likely culprit.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tested the switch with my laptop for data and it works fine. Switch shows data light and poe light. I have the BVTech 8 port POE 100mbit switch

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a problem at the network level since it affected all(?) of your cameras at the same time and none of them have come back.

Without knowing exactly how your network is configured I can't really pinpoint the problem, but likely culprits are:

1) The PoE switch.
2) The power supply for the PoE switch.
3) Any switch, network cable, or power supply between the PoE switch and your Blue Iris PC.

I've also upon occasion discovered devices with bad network ports, spewing noise or bad packets or who knows what and taking down an entire home/office network until that one device got unplugged. Though this seems unlikely in your case as it would probably have killed your internet access.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so we can eliminate network issues (outside of bad switch) because I'm a network engineer :) But I am thinking the POE switch went bad....

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replaced the switch with a brand new one. Same behavior. I even factory reset one of the cameras and the ip came back up as the default 192.168.1.108. When I run a continuous ping on the camera is seems to lose connectivity every 30 seconds. I cannot get to the Web Admin page to configure it. This happened across 7 of my cameras and they are 2 different models from two different suppliers. Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I replaced the switch with a brand new one. Same behavior. I even factory reset one of the cameras and the ip came back up as the default 192.168.1.108. When I run a continuous ping on the camera is seems to lose connectivity every 30 seconds. I cannot get to the Web Admin page to configure it. This happened across 7 of my cameras and they are 2 different models from two different suppliers. Any ideas?
connect only one camera to the switch and pc to the switch...change the pc ipv4 address, then try logging in...

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the camera seems to be definitely be in a reboot loop, I'm watching the green power light since I have it opened. Every time I see lost pings the green light flickers off and turns back on. I realize this can happen, but to 7 cameras at the same time across different models?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
the camera seems to be definitely be in a reboot loop, I'm watching the green power light since I have it opened. Every time I see lost pings the green light flickers off and turns back on. I realize this can happen, but to 7 cameras at the same time across different models?
that is very strange...possibly a power surge?

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Brickerbot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeh I cannot get to the web page. Is there any way to fix this? Does dahua have a warranty? These things are like 3 weeks old.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry to hear as this really sucks. Couple of thoughts. Assume you are using the same pc to access the cam? If so, can you use a different one to test? Also can you power the camera from a 12vdc brick and eliminate the poe? Maybe a bad nic.

So new pc, new cable and 12vdc supply for cam.

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try smartPSS sofware instead of BI and see if they come up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeh I cannot get to the web page. Is there any way to fix this? Does dahua have a warranty? These things are like 3 weeks old.
You have no warranty from dahua since you did not purchase from an authorized reseller... Regardless this is not something that a warranty would cover. If in fact your cameras have failed it is a result of an outside cause like a surge. There is no way 7 cameras fail at the same time due to a manufacturing issue or failure. Is all your network gear and switches attached to Surge suppressors?

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep all attached to surge battery backup unit. Tried a different pc than the one running BI and have tried smartPSS. I do t have a 12v brick to test. But as @fenderman stated they all worked and posted up fine. So all 7 could not just die like this. My only other thought is could there be a firmware issue? I'm running the one released on 3-6-2017?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How about the 12vdc source?

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have a 12v brick to test with but not sure what it will prove. Since all seven exhibit this behavior and prior were working.