700ft long run epoe build

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So I need to make a 700 ft and a 500 ft cable run at my friends place. He lives out of town and wants to place some cameras on a trail that’s 700 ft away from his house. there’s a 600 ft open field and then approx 100 ft thick tree line. He also wants a couple cams at the end of his long windy laneway. We do have access to a cable trenching machine. I was thinking of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy. 800meters, epoe? I could use direct burial cat6e/cat5e and straight run it from nvr in house, directly to cameras? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm all these views and not one reply. I guess this is a build thread then.

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll give you my long-winded two cents worth and hopefully it will help. I’ve learned a lot from this site so I’ll pass along what little valid experience I have.

I recently “personally” installed about 8,000 feet of cable on a commercial property that I own (yes, a little over 1.5 miles of cable). I used Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro Cat5e.

I ran the cable around the perimeter on a fence so I didn't see a need to buy direct burial cable. If I were going to bury it, I probably would use Shireen Gel Filled based on recommendations that I've seen on this site.

I have no prior experience with either cable but I do believe that shielded cable is a must for long outdoor runs. I also ran an extra run to the longest points as a backup or for possible future expansion. I will be using some of the cables to power and control long range infrared photo beams.

All of the cables originate from a single point and I used rack mounted L-Com Cat5 Lightning Surge protector panels at that point.

My two longest runs are about 900 feet and many are over 500 feet. I bought Dahua cameras from Andy and like everyone else, they arrived quickly! I bought a combination of cameras based on my plan, IPC-HFW5231R-ZE and IPC-HFW5231-Z5E.

I also bought a Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E. I may upgrade to an ePoE switch and Blue Iris at some point.

So far everything that I have installed is working as planned but they’ve only been operational for about a week. I still have three more cameras to install and 8 photo beams. I’m cautiously optimistic that everything will work. Although I’m not looking forward to aligning photo beams at distances of about 600 feet.

There does appear to be a bug with Dahua ePoE NVR when reporting the link quality status of the ePoE ports. Only one port can have a link quality of Good and the remaining 7 ePoE ports will always show as Poor. It doesn’t matter if the cables feeding the cameras are a 3 feet patch cord, it will still report the link quality as Poor. I turned on the Enhanced PoE for the long runs but found that there was no difference in performance or link quality status reporting. I find it strange but according to the NVR, all of my runs operate correctly on normal PoE, even the 900 foot runs.

I will attest to the fact that running cables, climbing poles, mounting junction boxes and terminating shielded ToughCable connectors on ladders is a bitch and the guys who do it earn their pay … unfortunately, I didn’t have the money in the budget to pay a company to install the system.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback guys. Just got some epoe equipment in from Andy. Hope to start trenching in 1”- 2” poly pipe conduit or just direct burial cat6e. The area is very sandy ground.
2A8F4B27-05A3-46D1-8F6A-B1908FB12A69.jpeg

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I too like Ubiquiti Toughcable and use it for basically all network cables I make. All that extra shielding means it takes more time to prepare ends for crimping, but the benefits to durability alone make it worth having. Years ago their supplier cut corners and used an outer jacket that wasn't UV protected. It turned green and degraded under sunlight. Now any outdoor runs using this defective cable have lost most or all of their outer jacket wherever it was exposed to sunlight, yet the cables are still fully functional (if perhaps a little wet inside).