8 2mp cams, GB for MB switch?

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any thoughts about these specs :

2 Megapixels

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unmanaged-Rackmount-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B07788WK5V

is the switch overkill for 8 2mp cams?
Is the MB variant FS 116P enough ?

Also.. what's the NVR CPU usage for this scenario?
I'm thinking of using my i3-4130 +16gb ram Emby PC for this, but it's already loaded with sonarr, radarr, utorrent & jdownloader. Ocassionally when i stream using emby the cpu spikes up too..
I can upgrade the RAM but i hope not the CPU cause it needs alot of reinstalling..

thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Any thoughts about these specs :

2 Megapixels

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Unmanaged-Rackmount-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B07788WK5V

is the switch overkill for 8 2mp cams?
Is the MB variant FS 116P enough ?

Also.. what's the NVR CPU usage for this scenario?
I'm thinking of using my i3-4130 +16gb ram Emby PC for this, but it's already loaded with sonarr, radarr, utorrent & jdownloader. Ocassionally when i stream using emby the cpu spikes up too..
I can upgrade the RAM but i hope not the CPU cause it needs alot of reinstalling..

thanks
I would say it's not enough, port wise. You have 8 ports on the switch and 8 cameras. How are you going to connect the switch to the rest of your network, or even your PC or NVR? I would go with 16 ports minimum. Or maybe, the switch you linked to, is the wrong one?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would say it's not enough, port wise. You have 8 ports on the switch and 8 cameras. How are you going to connect the switch to the rest of your network, or even your PC or NVR? I would go with 16 ports minimum. Or maybe, the switch you linked to, is the wrong one?
Ah sorry i meant 7 cams, must've been sleepy when i posted it.
I'm aiming for netgear cause its lifetime warranty.
What concerns me is do i need MB or GB switch for this scenario?
And what's the rough CPU usage for 7 cams?

Reaction score
Ah sorry i meant 7 cams, must've been sleepy when i posted it.
I'm aiming for netgear cause its lifetime warranty.
What concerns me is do i need MB or GB switch for this scenario?
And what's the rough CPU usage for 7 cams?
Even with 7 cams, I would go with a 16 port switch to allow for expansion, and the possibllity of a port failure. And, go for the GB model, as it gives additional bandwidth.
A 16 port model also allows attachment of other devices other than POE cameras, like Wireless access points and other network devices. The ports will auto sense and you can attach any network device, without worry. It doesn't need to be POE when attaching other devices.

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even with 7 cams, I would go with a 16 port switch to allow for expansion, and the possibllity of a port failure. And, go for the GB model, as it gives additional bandwidth.
A 16 port model also allows attachment of other devices other than POE cameras, like Wireless access points and other network devices. The ports will auto sense and you can attach any network device, without worry. It doesn't need to be POE when attaching other devices.
I dont think im gonna be needing more than 6 though.. 7 at most..
Netgear skips 16 port GB POE i think, i only found 24 port (and even if 16 exists, it's a little out of my budget)
16 port MB / 8 port POE is still within my budget.. but.. back to my previous question.. I'm wondering if it's enough for 7 cams...
if not then i might go for 8 port GB