8 months with a Dahua 4K NVR- What I have learned, and Smart PSS

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Positives with the Dahua NVR:

1. Stable Platform, even after multiple power outages, that was the biggest concern originally
2. IVS system has worked great and reduces false alarms yet captures what I need
3. All in one system, low profile

Draw backs I’ve been having with the 4K Dahua NVR and current setup.
1. No ability to access the camera UI directly (remotely). No way to adjust IVS remotely because of this. No way to adjust PTZ tour remotely. No way to access many of the detailed camera settings due to this. significantly reduces advanced features of the Dahua cameras (which are amazing btw).

Resolution: get a POE switch to allow this

2. Only 4 cameras appear in Smart PSS, you have to click “show all channels” each time you launch it to get my 5th camera. Then it shows duplicates of the 5th camera? Video here.

Resolution: ?

3. The 4K NVR playback chokes bad, very hard to get smooth motion playback live or on playback? Download speed over VPN connection is 26 mb/s and upload is 6mb/s. Is it my VPN or NVR or internet speeds causing this? Video here

4. Overall issue with compatibility with adjusting the NVR, cameras remotely. You make an adjustment settings and it doesn’t always take, even after pressing apply and save.

Resolution: Switch, to adjust settings directly on web GUI

5. The Big Black Face Dahua is like a Ferrari, but I feel like I only have access to the basic Honda features of it. Wish I could make it go to certain presets at certain times of the day. Wish I could make it go to a preset each time there is an alarm triggered (you can do this) but then return to where it was (can’t figure this out). Wish I could make the camera run a tour on it’s own (but can’t configure this remotely behind the NVR).

Resolution: Add a Switch, ? no manual came with the Big Black Face Daua?

6. Must add the cameras you want to view each time you open Smart PPS, it never remembers them, very cumbersome. If there is activity at the house it takes me 1-2mins to pull them up vs. my foscam app which takes seconds. Video here.

6. Uses .DAV stored files which can be really cumbersome to access, save and use for video editing software. Why can’t it just be .mpg or .mov?

7. Email uploads, DropBox, EasySpace, all should but do not work on my NVR. I’ve spent a good 10-12hrs. troubleshooting this and go no where.

8. Each time the alarm is triggered, the NVR starts creating a new separate file for playback later. The NVR has a hard time playing these back vs, the normal playback files. They are often short and by the time they play they have missed the event to show me and it is cumbersome to view? Video here

Resolution: ?, should I lower the frame and resolution for all cameras and not use their full quality?

9. Found it to be extremely cumbersome to setup and get it to all work and programmed the way I want

10. IOS app crashes very easily depending on what camera encoding settings are in place, will work fine for a bit, nothing will change and then it will crash consistently until you change the encoding to something else and then it will work again, over and over.

11. All alarm events have the sound beeps turned off yet the NVR beeps when there is an IVS triggered, yet this is turned off everywhere !

Video:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
#3, this is your upload speeds.. since your remote you might consider recording both primary and secondary streams so you can play back the secondary streams remotely.. then if you need to archive off evidence you can export the main stream as a download and it should play back in full fidelity locally once the download has completed.

#6, this is actually desirable for remote use because you dont want it auto loading up a bunch of cameras on connection that cant handle it; it'll slow you down even further.. Solution: Use Push notifications and you can see live video when IVS is triggered as quickly as you can get connected to VPN

The 2nd #6, SmartPSS should let you choose format to export video into.. you can also use handbrake to convert dav files to something else if you wish to edit em.

#7, push notifications and none of that is needed

#8, On the camera's configuration set the iframe interval to match your FPS

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback Nayr. Unfortunately I was never able to get push notifications to work on this NVR. I tried everything!!!! Others have reported similar bugs with it not working as well.

Changed over to recording substream and mainstream. No place to adjust iframe on the NVR's web gui.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like nayr said u can save to avi.done it a couple of times before.i used smartpss in windows os.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback Nayr. Unfortunately I was never able to get push notifications to work on this NVR. I tried everything!!!! Others have reported similar bugs with it not working as well.

Changed over to recording substream and mainstream. No place to adjust iframe on the NVR's web gui.
did you use the sms gateway address for your cell phone?

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
6. Must add the cameras you want to view each time you open Smart PPS, it never remembers them, very cumbersome. If there is activity at the house it takes me 1-2mins to pull them up vs. my foscam app which takes seconds. Video here.
This is what "Views" are for. Arrange the cameras the way you want and then hit the Save View button. Next time you startup, just load the view.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Every time my event triggers (i.e. audio detect or IVS detect) the NVR starts a new file. Perfect, except that when I go to playback the event on the playback tab the playback chokes just as I need to review the event. This is remotely, via a VPN. The file plays perfectly fine until it hits the orange event file. What am I doing wrong here? The event file is set at the same settings as the constant record encoding. Certainly this must be a setting issue, otherwise how do you review your events? When it plays the green area is plays fine!!???

Watch video here of the playback choking:

, also does it on sub stream playback here so not really a data throughout issue.

I can't review many of the event clips because of this issue

Here are my camera encoding settings:
The Web GUI doesn't recognize the IVS recordings so that is not an alternate option. Must use SmartPSS2

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Positives with the Dahua NVR:

Draw backs I’ve been having with the 4K Dahua NVR and current setup.
1. No ability to access the camera UI directly (remotely). No way to adjust IVS remotely because of this. No way to adjust PTZ tour remotely. No way to access many of the detailed camera settings due to this. significantly reduces advanced features of the Dahua cameras (which are amazing btw).

Resolution: get a POE switch to allow this
In my mind this is the only major drawback of using this standalone dvr. Would using a POE Switch allow me to remotely change the IVS settings?
If so, can I run a cable from the POE switch in to one of the POE ports on the NVR??

Thanks

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my mind this is the only major drawback of using this standalone dvr. Would using a POE Switch allow me to remotely change the IVS settings?
If so, can I run a cable from the POE switch in to one of the POE ports on the NVR??
IIRC, some newer Dahua NVR firmware versions have a screen that gives you links for the cameras that you can click on (they look like Internet Explorer icons) that forward you over to the camera where you can use the camera's web interface to setup IVS, etc.

If you're looking to use a separate PoE switch, you would not want to connect to a PoE port on the NVR because the NVR PoE ports are setup on a separate network. Plug the PoE switch into your main network, and then change the IP addresses on each camera to ones suitable for your main network. Your NVR should be able to access the cameras over its regular network port.

I've always wondered if there was a way to configure PoE NVRs to not use a separate network in the first place...

dbeans

n3wb
Reaction score
ya, unfortunately I'm 4hrs away and mostly access these cameras remotely over the NVR web UI, no access to camera UI remotely
I had the same problem. I enabled forwarding of the port 10080 to 10085 in my router. Once that's done, after you access the NVR through the browser (port 4000), you could go to the setup tab and clik on the browser icon of the camera you want to access. The NVR temporary does a port forwarding of port 10080 of the NVR's ip to the camera you selected.

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My push notifications work great, but i did have fun setting it up. Not sure i can remember all the steps but i can try and have a guess. Can you confirm the following for starters:

did you enable push notification on your nvr?
- you have an IVS rule setup (i use tripwire)
- Push notifications are enabled - System > Security > Mobile Phone Push (check box is checked)
upload_2019-7-18_23-50-45.png

- Subscribe to service in i/gDmss plus app - subscribe > IVE > Cross line (for tripwire)

I'll try and remember if there are any other settings i setup when i got it working.
Also check your network isn't blocking any ports, are you using iphone or android - android uses port 443 can't remember the iphone port