8TB WD Purple - how much free space to keep?

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Folks - are most of you keeping 15% free space on your surveillance hard drives to run it efficiently or no need with Windows 10 OS these days? I want to make sure I'm setting my clips and archiving setting correctly but of course maximize how many days the recordings are kept. In windows, the drive shows 8,001,545,039,872 or 7.27 TB capacity. What would you set your stored folder size to be before it starts deleting files?

Thx

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I also leave around 10% free, that’s leaves enough space to make backups of important clips should you need to.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry but i don't remember how hdd's show space in windows. Should I set stored folder to 90% of 8001 megabytes or 7.27 TB i.e. 7200mb or 6500mb

Also as a side question, does one need to pay for BI annual support to get minor software updates within v5 - I'm guessing it's required but just asking. I already have support on my primary computer but wondering if I should also get it for my experimental/test install computer

Thx

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I just check the properties of the drive in Windows and then set it to around 10% less in BI.

You do need active support in place to get any updates beyond the date that support expired.

Really depends how to use your test machine, only you can decide if you need that system kept up to date or not.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After the license expiration date on about tab, there are no more updates.

The 10% is a guide line. On big drives it can be a little bit less.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so if I want to leave only 200gb free, what should I set the stored folder size to be per the screenshot below? I can't remember why the bytes number doesn't co-relate to the Terabyte number

1601842466569.png