A couple of questions on my Dahua NVR (HDD installation, fan noise )

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All

Got my Dahua NVR4208-8P. Still not moved into new house so I have some time to go yet. I will be installing my NVR in attic space which is actually beside my bedroom, so I am concerned about the fan noise. I have read about a mod where the fan can be replaced with a lower volt model, but I would prefer keep the fan speed high. Is there any point in replacing the stock fan with a quieter one?

Second, any recommendations on HDD types? It appears that my NVR supports SATA and external USB, I figure I will install an internal HDD as it is cheaper and also much tidier.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The purple drives are recommended by most.
I use the WD Purple WD20PURX Surveillance Hard Drive - 2TB, 5400RPM, 64MB Cache, SATA 6.0Gb/s, 3.5"
It's been running 11 months w/ no hiccups.

Fastb

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how about the fan noise? I am thinking that I will need to get an acoustically lined cabinet to isolate the noise. Dont want to spend the $ though, any ideas?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I put up w/ the noise..
It's far from any bedroom.
If NVR in attic, cooling sounds critical.
And even w/ a stock, loud fan you may be pushing the envelope

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont put HDD's in the attic if you want them to last, and if you can hear the fans through the ceiling then you need to finally patch that hole in your roof.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL!

Or make some noise of your own in the bedroom!
To drown out the fan hum!
Or use the fan's droning to mask bedroom noise!

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The location is actually to the side of m bedroom. Attic is converted but there is remaining attic space at the eaves and this was the best place to home run this cat6 cable to. Weather here not never gets above 80F.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or use a L.N.A. (low noise adapter) on the fan. Noctua makes some, and probably others. That's what I used on my NVR5232-SKS, and it quietened it down a lot, but still cools.