A little help please

Reaction score
So I posted this on a members thread another post on the forum but thought I might get a quicker response here.

"So I'm new to all this, and im definitely not an IT guy, but are you guys saying I have to purchase static ip's to be able to run my security cams?

I was thinking my setup would go like this:

Asus rt88ac to a netgear16 port poe+ switch, a synology ds918+ nas running their surveillance station software to act as the DVR plugged into the switch along with my 3 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cams and a IPC-HDBW4231F-AS cam.

I have an OpenVPN vpn client. Not sure if I should run that thru the nas or the router as both can be set up to run openvpn and I'm hardworking all my other connections.

I was planning on setting up a ddns so that way I could remotely login and view my surveillance feed in the nas.

The more I get into this the more i get confused."

Does anyone have any suggestions for my setup? Now take into account that I've already purchased all the equipment above so I need to make it all run cohesively.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need to purchase a static IP address from your ISP.

As part of the setup of the openVPN on the asus router, There should have been a place to set up an DDNS. The dynamic domain name system. What this does is keep tract of the ISP ip address for your modem/router.

There are other DDNS providers, I recommend use the ASUS one as it is part of the router setup.

C20.JPG

C21.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I was looking into no-ip.com but I will look into the router option first, especially if it's already built in and doesnt require me to login every 30 days to renew. And that means I'm better off setting up the vpn on the router. Forgive my ignorance, but if I log into the ddns remotely that I used to set up through the router, I'll be able to access my nas and its surveillance station software to view cameras? Like I said I still have a lot to learn

So as long as as my nas sees all the cameras and I'm setup with a ddns direct into the nas then I should be able to run what ip addresses the router assigns to the cameras?

And one last thing should I run my nas directly off a lan port on the router? Or out of the switch? Or does it even matter? Seems I remember someone on the synology forum saying to run the nas off the switch but i could be mistaken.

This is a big undertaking on my part and I am having to learn about nas and raid, IP cameras and switches, fixed and variable lens 2mp vs 4k, it can become a little overwhelming. I've been reading for the past 2 weeks. Gone thru the cliff notes etc

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also, there is a free openvpn client that I installed on my phone, I'm assuming they also have a desktop version too. Is that what people are using or are the using a paid provider for a vpn service? I purchase PrivateVPN that uses openvpn protocol and currently on a 30 day trial but if it's not needed then I can still cancel

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When the openVPN is configured, there is a conf file created in the router, different conf files for PC, Android, apple.

On your phone or PC copy the conf file. The openvpn client is on the phone and uses the conf file.

After the open VPN client connects to the openVPN on the Asus router, you are on your home network. Any device or app that you run at home, will now run on your phone/ PC.

The VPNclient is on your phone or laptop, or office PC...... Any remote device that will connecr to your home network.

Reaction score
I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Looks like I need to do a lot more reading. I'm either extremely tired or this talk about config files and copying to my phone is way over my head at the moment.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The software for openVPN is free.it is in the androAn app store. For the Android phone.

Do not purchase anything to run openVPN.

For a PC search Google "PC openvpn client" community downloads and there is help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchase PrivateVPN that uses openvpn protocol and currently on a 30 day trial but if it's not needed then I can still cancel
You do not need a VPN service. All they do, other than relieve you of a few dollars every month is, and I quote from PrivateVPN is ".....keeps your internet activity private and secure. It stops your ISP and the authorities from tracking what you do online."