A little help

Cornfuzed

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone im here because i could use some assistance i have a warehouse i need to install cameras in and out roughly 10-14 cameras.
I have a backround in infosec so i know of most of the vulnerabilities in the over the counter packages.
Im in california so it doesnt rain much, cameras would be roughly 15ft off the ground inside and out somw runs to the nvr/dvr would be 200ftish possibly more. just looking for somwthing that would work with good picture that wouldnt put my network at a major risk if i did decide to connect it. Dome cameras preffered.
Ive used hikvision in the past and found that the attempts to exploit the system were through the roof. Even with port change etc. So i took it offline.
Any reccomendations would be great.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT ! :)

I could be wrong but it appears you posted soon after joining and did not take the time to read and study The Cliff Notes or the Wiki, as evidence by the content of your post. Not trying to be critical but I am seriously trying to help you. If you had spent that time, you would know:
  • 15 feet is twice is high as recommended, if a lower height is possible.
  • Domes are susceptible to IR bounce-back and foggy image due to dust/moisture combo and UV/smog aging. Bullets attract spiders and their webs. Turrets are best form factor.
  • All IP cameras are capable of allowing exploits, not just Hikvision.
  • Port forwarding ("port change"?) not recommended, a VPN is.

Cornfuzed

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT ! :)

I could be wrong but it appears you posted soon after joining and did not take the time to read and study The Cliff Notes or the Wiki, as evidence by the content of your post. Not trying to be critical but I am seriously trying to help you. If you had spent that time, you would know:
  • 15 feet is twice is high as recommended, if a lower height is possible.
  • Domes are susceptible to IR bounce-back and foggy image due to dust/moisture combo and UV/smog aging. Bullets attract spiders and their webs. Turrets are best form factor.
  • All IP cameras are capable of allowing exploits, not just Hikvision.
  • Port forwarding ("port change"?) not recommended, a VPN is.
Thanks for the info, your right i havnt read much. My business is extreamly busy at the moment so i dont have the time to go through a bunch of stuff at the moment unfortunatly. Due to corona vjrus demand has peaked. I just need to find a solution as quick as possible so i can have cameras up.
Sorry to sound like a person that doesnt want to read / learn as i do. Just not a great time to unfortunatly.

Reaction score
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but if you are in desperate need and won't have time to read the helpful cliff notes, you may also not have time to do the install. In that case, maybe just pay the premium and have a certified security company come out and install a system for you?

It would be cheaper to do it yourself with some of the resources available here, but you also have to do more of the work yourself, including the camera research, learning about how to get secure access via VPN, possibly setting firewall rules and the like.

If you insist on proceeding, understand there are very good reasons @TonyR guided you away from domes and bullet cameras, and how you may regret having the cameras 15ft in the air if you need to IDENTIFY anyone. You may not have time for reading, but going to link you to guides for each item in case you get stuck.

You could definitely do this building a system like so:
  • Get an off-lease corporate desktop computer on the cheap (4th gen minimum, 6th gen better) - this will typically come with a Windows license $300-$600 (see: Choosing Hardware Guide)
  • add a network card to that device for the simplest secure setup. Set that network interface in Windows to 192.168.1.X subnet, but it MUST be different than your main network. ($20) (Setup Dual NIC)
  • buy a good 16-port POE switch (100 is adequate/1000 is better) with enough power budget for your cameras, each camera spec sheet will specify the power consumption with and without IR active (IR for seeing in the dark) (varies Google Search of IPCAMTALK)
  • Order 10-14 cameras from our friend @EMPIRETECANDY on these forums, including the correct junction boxes (at least for cameras in the elements). Since I assume identifying PEOPLE isn't the goal (since 15ft high cameras will make that impossible), I assume these are overview cameras so 2MP is probably fine.
  • Assuming none of the cable runs will need to be buried, buy 4x 1000ft rolls of CAT6 bulk cable, pure-copper, riser certified. (example thread)
  • buy the crimper and ethernet RJ45 plus to install on the cables, learn and use the T568B wiring pattern for ethernet cables, possibly get a basic ethernet wiring tester to make sure you are doing it right. (Recommend Install Tools)
  • guidance from these forums is to run ethernet cables you need +1 (so run 2 to every single camera box in case you need to add a camera all that ladder work will be done already).
  • Buy Blue Iris NVR software (this is the computer based alternative to a proprietary NVR) Buy Blue Iris

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone im here because i could use some assistance i have a warehouse i need to install cameras in and out roughly 10-14 cameras.
I have a backround in infosec so i know of most of the vulnerabilities in the over the counter packages.
Im in california so it doesnt rain much, cameras would be roughly 15ft off the ground inside and out somw runs to the nvr/dvr would be 200ftish possibly more. just looking for somwthing that would work with good picture that wouldnt put my network at a major risk if i did decide to connect it. Dome cameras preffered.
Ive used hikvision in the past and found that the attempts to exploit the system were through the roof. Even with port change etc. So i took it offline.
Any reccomendations would be great.
Welcome @Cornfuzed

Clearly you are very busy right now.

Definitely take the time to read a bit here, and pay attention to the recommendations above.

My guess:
If you are in a hurry, no way you can get a perfect setup.

Just like attempting to maximize the output of your warehouse - you need to take some time to plan the purpose and flow out first before laying out the warehouse.

Remember DO NOT port forward.

If you do not have time, definitely look for some quality talent to contract with, I am certain they would be happy for the work right now.