A little late to the party...

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all. I should have done this a few weeks ago before I really got into the forums and started asking questions.

My name is Joel. Professionally I'm a civil engineer, but in my spare time I guess I would call myself a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none. My dad always said, "Never pay someone to do something that you could do yourself." I love to tackle my own DIY projects; research, planning, and getting my hands dirty. I've done plenty of my own residential electrical work, but hardly anything with networking.

We just broke ground on a new house, and even after we move in we'll have construction all around us for at least a few years while the neighborhood fills up. Lots of construction workers coming and going while we're away at work. I figure the best way to keep an eye on our new investment is some cameras I can access remotely, and the best time to get the wiring for those cameras installed is during the framing stage and before drywall goes in. I'm going to be running CAT6 throughout the house for the cameras, TVs, internet access, etc.

After a lot of reading and at least a little over-thinking, I just purchased my PC (HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF i5 6th Gen 3.20Ghz 8Gb Ram-DDR4, 128-SSD + 2 TB HDD Win 10) to run Blue Iris.

Most likely going to be picking up a few of the Dahua Starlight Varifocals (HDW-5231R-Z) cameras to start. Driveway, backyard, and front stoop above the door. Eventually I'd like to expand to catch a few extra angles and maybe inside the garage. We'll see how these work out.

Anyway, probably made this way longer than I needed to. I just wanted to introduce myself, say thanks for those that have already helped answer some of my questions, and say thanks in advance for your patience as I'm sure to ask more. I know enough that I'm not afraid to dig in with a little guidance, but I also know this is outside of my wheelhouse. You're the experts, and I appreciate what you all are doing here. Thanks!

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome.
Put in alarm system wiring before the drywall goes up.
Thanks. We will be putting in a wired alarm system as well during that stage. Door sensors, glass break detectors, CO/smoke detectors, etc. I'm not thrilled with signing a contract for an alarm system, but it was a compromise I had to make with my wife. I get the cameras, she gets ADT (because that's what they had growing up). I suppose at the very least, at the end of the contract I'll still have a house wired for alarm even if we don't stick with them. We'll see how it goes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. We will be putting in a wired alarm system as well during that stage. Door sensors, glass break detectors, CO/smoke detectors, etc. I'm not thrilled with signing a contract for an alarm system, but it was a compromise I had to make with my wife. I get the cameras, she gets ADT (because that's what they had growing up). I suppose at the very least, at the end of the contract I'll still have a house wired for alarm even if we don't stick with them. We'll see how it goes.
I would never trust adt to install anything..those guys are used to gluing wireless door sensors...you wife needs to understand that they hire garbage. They will lock you into a contract that will cost double or more of what you can get from the open market or decent installer. The guys who installed her system when she was growing up are long gone...the company is garbage and you will be left with a proprietary panel that you will have to replace...makes no sense. Paying more for less...

JoelJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I would never trust adt to install anything..those guys are used to gluing wireless door sensors...you wife needs to understand that they hire garbage. They will lock you into a contract that will cost double or more of what you can get from the open market or decent installer. The guys who installed her system when she was growing up are long gone...the company is garbage and you will be left with a proprietary panel that you will have to replace...makes no sense. Paying more for less...
I can't say I disagree with you about ADT as a company. Just like everything else, I've researched it to death, and they don't always get glowing reviews. I guess the one thing I have going for me is I'm not dealing with ADT directly. We have a local service rep who does the installs and all service calls himself. I shouldn't ever have to deal with corporate ADT, and the local guy gets great reviews. Besides, sometimes we just have to let our wives have their way to keep the peace, am I right? Otherwise I probably wouldn't have 14 throw pillows on my bed. ;)

Welcome!

IDPA or USPSA?
Thanks! USPSA! I wouldn't mind trying out IDPA, but my local range has a USPSA league on Wednesday nights that I like to participate in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say I disagree with you about ADT as a company. Just like everything else, I've researched it to death, and they don't always get glowing reviews. I guess the one thing I have going for me is I'm not dealing with ADT directly. We have a local service rep who does the installs and all service calls himself. I shouldn't ever have to deal with corporate ADT, and the local guy gets great reviews.
I doubt she understands that she will not only be getting a subpar install but a subpar panel that will have to be replaced later all while paying double...the subpar install may not be easily rectified later....makes no sense..show her this thread. The logic of "I had adt while growing up" makes no sense. Its garbage...I have a $200 chevy while growing up...doesnt mean I want one now...ADT is known for subpar work, subpar panels (which are locked into their network), and subpar service...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha, That sounds so just like my wife, We have a Time Warner...umm Spectrum system here at the house. My wife dug in for it, after some issues here in Rural Upstate NY..like getting my truck stolen right out of the driveway, basement door unsuccessfully pried on with a screwdriver and people walking around the house at night. A few other ones too. I have had it for 7 years included in a package plan and have been pretty happy with it.