A lot of traffic to these websites from my HIK camera ?

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have just installed the HIK connect app on my phone and noticed a few days later that the app contacts these two websites dev.ezviz7.com and litedev.eu.hik-connect.com. The screenshot is from my PiHole and it tells me that my HIK-connect app contacts each of these websites 17500 each day. That is really a lot of traffic. I don't think that the website checkip-dyndns.com has something to do with HIK, but anyone know why the HIK app needs to contact these to websites 35000 times each day ?

UPDATE - Found out it is one of my HIK cameras that makes all these connections to the websites and NOT the app on my phone

Screenshot 2023-01-29 123903.jpg

Last edited:

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, but that is almost every third second it contacts one of these websites. I guess that it is just how it is, but is is really a lot of traffic compared to what I else have on my network

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just found out that it is not the app on my phone that creates all this traffic, it is one of my HIK cameras. I have 3 HIK cameras, but one of them is trying to connect to these websites 35000 times each day.

Just wonder why my two other cameras only tries to contact the websites around 200 times each day. I guess it must create a hole lot of traffic if each HIK camera around the world makes 35000 connections each day !

Reaction score
Stop allowing it on the internet-- isolate it. Set up a VPN or other secure connection (like Zerotier) to get into your network to view your cams or dvr. Leaving a cam open to the internet is ASKING for trouble-- but there are others here who can explain this in much better detail than I can.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes when you block them, they just try harder. lol

They won't get there if you block them but they'll fill your logs with tons of tries.

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Stop allowing it on the internet-- isolate it. Set up a VPN or other secure connection (like Zerotier) to get into your network to view your cams or dvr. Leaving a cam open to the internet is ASKING for trouble-- but there are others here who can explain this in much better detail than I can.
My cameras is not allowed outside my network and I use a VPN to connect to them from the outside. I have blocked them using PiHole, but still wonder why this one out of three cameras is trying so hard to connect to these websites.

Spookiepower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes when you block them, they just try harder. lol

They won't get there if you block them but they'll fill your logs with tons of tries.
PiHole is complaining about all the traffic :) and they are blocked

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Different camera, firmware, setting?

Might try pointing the gateway and DNS on the camera to its own IP. That may help keep things to itself and not fill PiHole up with all of the attempts. Sometimes they'll still try to get out using hard-coded DNS pointed to Google, etc. and common gateway addresses but usually not.

Last edited: