A major blow to space exploration

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
You beat me to it by half an hour! I was going to post that.

I'm shocked and saddened by the November decision to demolish the observatory. Then, to have it actually collapse, while a drone was out inspecting it... just wow. Thank gosh nobody was injured during the collapse.

While a very sad piece of footage, that is definitely one for the record books.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That was a very valuable resource and such a shame that it was allowed to get to the point of failure. One would think that regular inspections of the suspension cable using either xray or magnetic techniques would have been a part of normal maintenance. While a 900 ton load isn't high in terms of a suspension bridge, it's still quite a heavy load and those cables were straight, which adds significant load, versus the droop of a suspension bridge cable. Just a very sad and disappointing situation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hate that.....I remember a few shots of it in the 1997 Movie "Contact".

I very easily could be wrong but it appears every cable had to be intact, no redundancy or over-building so each cable could support many times its normal load so that if one cable failed it would not be like dominoes.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I read an article that agreed there wasn't enough redundancy, but apparently time ate away at the cable connections, insufficient maintenance (budget), and serious strain from Hurricane Maria were significant factors.

The loss of the radio telescope function is one thing, but it was an important radar/ranging facility that I think had no peer.

A huge loss to the scientific community and due to tourism effects, another economic blow to Puerto Rico at a time when it is most unwelcome.

While we are here, if you saw the movie Contact, I strongly recommend reading the book. I found the book preferable, particularly the final chapter ("The Artist's Signature") that was entirely absent from the movie.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk