a monitor upgrade?

DogDazeII

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, a quick question..

I've had Blue Iris up and running for a week with NO problems or issues on a very marginally powered Win7 PC... which I plan to upgrade when I get a chance to get around to it..

It's been up and working fine.. no problems with the remote access etc..

So, I picked up an new monitor.. (HP) a nice one.. and changed out the old 4:3 last night.. bumped up the resolution the monitor.. 99% of the time, I leave the monitor powered off.. but I thought all was AOK when I last left it last night..

Today, I get to work and I can't access my cams remotely... nothing.. so, having it all working for a week and merely changing out the monitor.. I assume that I probably crashed the PC?

I can't check things out until I get back home.. but hopeful that I didn't hurt it too bad.. since we were counting on it to check in on the pets..

If it was a monitor thing, I can resort back to the old until I can pick up a video card or even better, a new PC.. so, for now.. just a reboot to get back to working so as to bump the resolution back down?

Any chance I hurt or killed this thing.. (or my Blue Iris config or install?)
Should I be able to just reboot it to recover?? I knew I shouldn't have touched it.. (yet)

Thanks in Advance,
Joe

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a quick question..

I've had Blue Iris up and running for a week with NO problems or issues on a very marginally powered Win7 PC... which I plan to upgrade when I get a chance to get around to it..

It's been up and working fine.. no problems with the remote access etc..

So, I picked up an new monitor.. (HP) a nice one.. and changed out the old 4:3 last night.. bumped up the resolution the monitor.. 99% of the time, I leave the monitor powered off.. but I thought all was AOK when I last left it last night..

Today, I get to work and I can't access my cams remotely... nothing.. so, having it all working for a week and merely changing out the monitor.. I assume that I probably crashed the PC?

I can't check things out until I get back home.. but hopeful that I didn't hurt it too bad.. since we were counting on it to check in on the pets..

If it was a monitor thing, I can resort back to the old until I can pick up a video card or even better, a new PC.. so, for now.. just a reboot to get back to working so as to bump the resolution back down?

Any chance I hurt or killed this thing.. (or my Blue Iris config or install?)
Should I be able to just reboot it to recover?? I knew I shouldn't have touched it.. (yet)

Thanks in Advance,
Joe
the higher res may have caused the cpu consumption to rise.

DogDazeII

n3wb
Reaction score
the higher res may have caused the cpu consumption to rise.
Yes, I think that may have happened.. I saw it was at 44%.. I didn't think it was gonna continue to climb with the monitor off..
tho, I'm guessing that it apparently did.. so, will try backing off the resolution.. or swapping back to the old 4:3 for now..
Hopeful everything comes back up after the reboot and I didn't corrupt anything.. just waiting to get back home to look at it is the hardest part.. (I think)

DogDazeII

n3wb
Reaction score
as it turns out, the PC was up and fine.. somehow the Blue Iris app shut down. The Windows Event logs looked clean (at a quick glance)
I saw in the BI log that it shut down expectantly.. but I don't know why exactly (just yet)
I accidentally cleared the log.. didn't realize I didn't set it up to log to disk yet.. but will keep an eye on it.. to see if I closed it accidentally, or if it unloaded on it's own. I generally keep it minimized.. and lock the PC.. I don't believe I closed it or logged off the box..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as it turns out, the PC was up and fine.. somehow the Blue Iris app shut down. The Windows Event logs looked clean (at a quick glance)
I saw in the BI log that it shut down expectantly.. but I don't know why exactly (just yet)
I accidentally cleared the log.. didn't realize I didn't set it up to log to disk yet.. but will keep an eye on it.. to see if I closed it accidentally, or if it unloaded on it's own. I generally keep it minimized.. and lock the PC.. I don't believe I closed it or logged off the box..
Install TeamViewer for remote access

Reaction score
Run BI as a service if you're not using HA (HA and BI as a service do not work in windows 7). Running BI as a service will allow it to automatically restart if it crashes. You can also download BI Tools to act as a watchdog.

DogDazeII

n3wb
Reaction score
Run BI as a service if you're not using HA (HA and BI as a service do not work in windows 7). Running BI as a service will allow it to automatically restart if it crashes. You can also download BI Tools to act as a watchdog.
Ah, I was poking around with it and saw there were some options to run as a service.. tho, I've been reluctant to change too much at a time.. seems I'll need to upgrade the PC from Win7 (currently) to take advantage.. prior to BI.. we didn't really have much need for a computer anymore.. so, we're a little behind the times until we opt to get something new... I'm gonna probably need to get a backup UPS on this thing now too.. which was kinda why we liked the cloud options.. that is, until that went away on us.. <ugh>
I'll have to check out the BI Tools.

Also, curious.. I had 3 rows of cams 3 (the bottom row had 4 across) until I changed out monitors.. then removed and re-added a cam in BI.. Now I have 2 rows of cameras 4 across.. the final bottom 2 cams are large now.. is there a way to control the size and location of the cam windows? I saw the option to change the layout, but can't get it back to my 3 x 3, with actually a 4th on the bottom row. From what I gather, it's controlled automatically in the BI software?

I was thinking I could change the size of the BI window.. but that's either maximized, or minimized only ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I was poking around with it and saw there were some options to run as a service.. tho, I've been reluctant to change too much at a time.. seems I'll need to upgrade the PC from Win7 (currently) to take advantage.. prior to BI.. we didn't really have much need for a computer anymore.. so, we're a little behind the times until we opt to get something new... I'm gonna probably need to get a backup UPS on this thing now too.. which was kinda why we liked the cloud options.. that is, until that went away on us.. <ugh>
I'll have to check out the BI Tools.

Also, curious.. I had 3 rows of cams 3 (the bottom row had 4 across) until I changed out monitors.. then removed and re-added a cam in BI.. Now I have 2 rows of cameras 4 across.. the final bottom 2 cams are large now.. is there a way to control the size and location of the cam windows? I saw the option to change the layout, but can't get it back to my 3 x 3, with actually a 4th on the bottom row. From what I gather, it's controlled automatically in the BI software?

I was thinking I could change the size of the BI window.. but that's either maximized, or minimized only ?
the cloud would have required a ups as well. its a terrible option